Day Hike Training Trip: Mt. Wilson, Angeles National Forest, ~13/13+ miles

Mt. Wilson via Chantry Flat GPS track.
I had a brief, stress related illness for the past few days, so I wasn't able to do any exercise. I really need to do some more training to put me in the best position for the start of the PCT, which is a little over a month from now. I decided to head to Mt. Wilson, which is a hike I know pretty well, is fairly long (>12 miles), and has pretty good elevation gain (>4,000 ft).


Taking my day pack and 3 L of water (water is not guaranteed at the top), I ended up getting to the trailhead much later than I wanted to. In the past, when I have done this hike, I have gotten to the parking lot by 7:30-8 am. I like to try to hike uphill when it is cooler since I have a tendency to overheat. Today I parked around 9 am. Oops. I guess I will put my new hiking shirt (Duluth Armachillo) to the test and see if it keeps me cool.
Early morning reflections in Santa Anita Creek.
The trail I take initially follows a creek. It was the most swollen with water I have ever seen it! Normally when I do this hike I take the pedestrian-only fork of the Upper Falls Trail, which skirts above Sturdevent Falls, has some sketchy rocks to cross, and veers over the creek several times. I was pretty cranky from getting to the trail late, and not feeling particularly adventurous, so I took the horseback fork of the trail. I've never taken this fork before. Even though you don't see the waterfall, it is a pleasant route that gradually winds around the mountain and meets up with the lower trail.


Gabrielino Trail Fork
Even though this hike is shaded and has nice water features, there is one thing that I hate about it. It can get kind of buggy. I had my head net in my pocket and had to pull it out pretty early on in the hike. I have a fairly low tolerance for gnats in my mouth. Pretty much just the thought of it happening is enough to pull out the head net. After I put this embarrassing bit of fashion on, my bug annoyance level plummeted and I felt pretty good until I crossed paths with a trail runner who was having no problem attacking that part of the trail without a head net. Then I was a little embarrassed. However, not embarrassed enough to take the head net off.


I continued along the Gabrielino Trail up and up and up. It gets to a point where it hits some annoying switchbacks. As much as I hate switchbacks, I have recently come to appreciate them. Switchbacks are much better alternative than going straight up/down on a steep trail.


As I was heading up the switchbacks, I noticed my body was getting a bit stressed from exertion. Since I was recently sick from stress I decided to slow it down and make this a leisurely hike to just enjoy. I shouldn't stress about time or speed because stressing will not do me any good at this point. Usually, I get pretty annoyed the closer I get to the peak because I know I am so close, but still am not finished. This time I was able to enjoy it and took in the views of all three of southern California's highest peaks. Mt. Baldy (aka Mt. San Antonio), Mt. San Gorgonio, and Mt. San Jacinto were all visible and capped in white.
Mt Baldy (left), Mt San G (middlish, maybe?), and Mt. San Jacinto (faded in the distance on the right). The PCT passes around each of these peaks.
The peak itself is really just the Mt. Wilson Observatory, so you end up crossing a road flanked with buildings and telescopes to get to the trail that will take you back down. The public bathrooms were open (they weren't last time) and the water tap was flowing (it wasn't last time). There were also a decent amount of tourists walking around who had obviously driven to the observatory. I said "Hello" to the people I passed, but gave them a wide berth so that they wouldn't have to deal with my hiking smell.


I crossed the parking lot to the path that leads down to the Old Toll Road and the Mt. Wilson Trail. I had great views of Mt. Baldy the whole time. From the Mt. Wilson Trail, I connected with the Winter Creek Trail to start heading back down to Chantry Flat. I pulled out my phone to experiment with Google Maps while “offline.” I know that our phones have GPS that can be used without network, but it was cool to see it in action. That is a very useful extra tool in addition to a topo map. Google Maps even had the trails in the area, and they were labeled. Go, Google!


Since I had decided to slow the hike down and just enjoy it, the Winter Creek Trail was so much prettier. Lots of beautiful trees and ferns. This trail has switchbacks for dayyyys, and it will even make you a bit dizzy at times. Since I was in no hurry, I didn't get my usual frustration with the switchbacks until I was almost done with them.
The gorgeous Winter Creek Trail.
When I got to the junction where the trail splits into Lower Winter Creek and Upper Winter Creek, I decided to take Upper Winter Creek since supposedly it is longer. I also like that it spills out into the parking area from above, whereas after finishing Lower Winter Creek you still have to climb some steep switchbacks to get back to your vehicle.
Heading back down on Upper Winter Creek Trail, looking out on the greater LA-area.
I arrived at my car about 4 pm. That was admittedly later than I intended, but the hike was much more enjoyable than it has been in the past. The exhaustion was still there in full force, but overall it was a more enjoyable experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)