FT2018 Day 4: Nobles Camp (mile 35.7) to Big Cypress RV (mile 47.8)

12.1 miles

Day Late and I got up around the same time this morning, but I headed out first. I stopped at a cypress dome to filter water. It was about 4 miles to the border with the Seminole reservation, but it was an easy, road-sized trail to the boundary. I got there very quickly. It is amazing how fast you can move on dry trail.

Early morning on the trail, heading towards the Seminole reservation. 


Day Late and I leap frogged all the way to Billie Swamp Safari,  where we both had resupply  packages waiting. I got there first and the staff at the office were very curious to hear about the Florida Trail and my adventure so far.

Billie Swamp Safari. 


After unpacking my resupply, Day Late and I headed for the Swamp Water Cafe. We ended up both getting the “Indian Taco,” which was chili, lettuce, and tomato piled on top of fried bread. I was very hungry when I started my meal, but very full when I finished.

After that, Day Late and I split ways. He kept hiking down the trail and I bought a swamp buggy tour. I had plenty of time to spare before my tour, so I walked around their zoo on property.

Alligator.
Baby capybara!
Black vultures. Not part of the zoo.

Vlog 1



When I finally took my tour, it was different than I expected. I thought we were going out to the wild swamp, but it ended up being more of a free ranging zoological preserve, hosting animals from all over the world (e.g. zebra, water buffalo, ostriches). It reminded me a lot of the safari ride at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, although that ride is probably patterned after something like the tour I was on.

Buggie tours.
Swamp buggie on land.
Swamp buggie in water.


After that, I left Billie Swamp and headed down the road about 4 miles to the Ah-Tha-Thi-Ki Museum. It was a surprisingly beautiful building and museum.  It had interior displays on tribal culture, history, and clothing, but also had a beautiful, mile long boardwalk around a cypress dome. This boardwalk was dotted with displays on local plant and animal life, along with the roles they played in Seminole culture.

The front entrance to the beautiful Ah-Tha-Thi-Ki Museum.

Vlog 2


After I finished at the museum, I went to the local RV park, which supposedly had an area set aside for hikers. That place was awesome. The shower and laundry facilities were incredibly clean and the staff was incredibly nice. There had been a panther sighting the night before near the spot set aside for hikers, so they put me in a RV spot (complete with table, BBQ, electricity, and water) for the hiker price.

I was  finally able to clean the swamp out of my clothes and off my body. I then ate dinner, charged my electronics, and went to bed.

Gorgeous sunset at the RV park.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)