FT2018 Day 55: Steephead Campsite (mile 969.5) to Red Deer Campsite (mile 1001.8)

32.3 FT miles

As I woke up this morning, I heard Rambler packing up while I was still trying to wake myself up. He left before I even got out of my tent.

When I did eventually get everything together, I crossed the nearby creek and started heading through the rest of the WMA. There isn't much to say about it, as it was similar to the other non-roadwalk sections I have done lately. The goal first thing this morning was to walk the 3.6 miles to the border of Eglin Airforce Base.

I  reached the road crossing to the base fairly quickly and entered. I had been angry, annoyed, or generally not happy about things most of this last week, so I had been looking forward to this section. Everyone who went through it before me had good things to say about it.

The trail was nice, flat, and shaded. I was enjoying its ease when I got spat back out onto the road. Apparently the trail isn't continuous through the base. I grumbled and headed the extra mile or two to the next entry point.

The trail was still very nice. It was still flat, easy to follow, and filled with small clear streams. Each stream came with its own boardwalk and sign labeling the creek. Every time I hit a bog, or soggy area, there was a boardwalk. It was very hilly  and I was constantly walking up and down. It wasn't too bad though, especially since the construction of all the other things made moving through so easy.

Fluffy lichens on the trail in Eglin.
Pretty, and clear, little steam .
Clear streams also mean clear water to filter.
Vlog 1


One part of the trail was a little adventurous. A bridge over a large, deep creek was being rebuilt. In the meantime, a temporary suspension bridge had been constructed. The bridge looked good as it was made with new wood. Then I stepped out on it.

Temporary suspension bridge.


Oh my, that was quite a sway. It was sturdily constructed, but since it was temporary, it wasn't as rigid as other suspension bridges. I usually call these bridges “Indiana Jones bridges,” because of that famous scene in The Temple of Doom, but this was probably my most Indiana Jones experience on one. It not only swayed side to side, but forwards and back. It walked across it very slowly.

Towards the end of the day I had two campsite choices, as Eglin doesn't allow random camping. I could hike a total of 25 miles today or 32. I was going to have to do a long day today or tomorrow. I had made arrangements with a trail angel in Crestview to stay the night at her house and wanted to conform to her schedule as much as possible, so I decided to go for the 32 mile day. There were also nasty rainstorms predicted for tomorrow, so that also helped my decision.

More easy trail.
Bridge over stream.
Vlog 2


The trail was pretty easy to follow during the day, and that translated over to the night as well. I never got turned around or off track, it was just long. I was hungry so I made at least two food stops during the night. I also passed the highest point on the Florida Trail, a whopping 272 ft. Be careful of those nosebleeds!

Made it to the summit!


The worst part about the night hike was that my clothes were dirty. I was only able to sink wash them in Bristol, and I didn't wash them at all in Ebro. They were itchy, and crusted in sweat and dirt. They were so crusted that they were abrasive and rubbing the skin off of my back.

I got to my campsite very late. I looked around and didn't see anyone set up. So, after I peed, I just kept my pants down as I set my tent up. It felt better on my raw flesh to keep them down. Inside my tent, I tore off the remaining scratchy clothes and got into my silk sleeping bag liner. It was such a relief on my skin. Then, I had to go to sleep as quickly as possible. I was going to have another early day tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)