Thoughts from the trail

I've now been back in civilization for 2 weeks. The adjustment has been weird. I expected to forget some of the societal norms we forego on the trail (e.g. remembering to put on deodorant, changing your shirt every day), but I didn't expect everything to be exactly as I left it. After going through so many different challenges, experiences, and personal growth on the trail, it was a bit of a shock to realize I was falling back into the same patterns I had been accustomed to pre-trail. It was almost as if I had dreamed the PCT experience.

The thing that constantly reminded me that the journey was real was how much my feet HURT. I talked about my feet with some fellow hikers as we were approaching Canada and we all had a similar sensation in our feet. They felt partially numb.  I figured this had to be from the obvious swelling going on. My toes looked like they were inflated ballons.

However, after a couple days of rest the numbness started to go away. It turned out that the numbness I had been hiking on was masking some pretty good pain. I could not stand on a bare floor in my bare feet. It hurt too much. I had to wear cushy shoes or sandals from the moment I got up in the morning. I brought my sandals directly to the side of the pool or the hot tub when I went to the gym for some exercise and recovery. Thankfully,  I  can now start to walk on bare feet again, though I do have a bit of a "hiker hobble" when I first get up in the morning.

The other pains I had post-hike occurred in my knees. This suprised me a little since, unlike my feet situation, my knees didn't really bother me while hiking. During my recovery they made me feel 90 years old.  They seem to be better now although they still seem to ache when I swim.

It has been a bit of a culture shock interacting with other people in civilization.  I realized that I had gotten used to the community utopia that surrounds the trail. It is an environment where mostly everyone, on and off the trail, is there to help you out. That is not so much the case in the "real world." Even on a simple trip to the grocery store it was pretty clear that everyone from the parking lot to the aisles to the checkout line was there for themselves. They may occassionally make a polite gesture, but peoples' situational awareness seem to be very much centered around themselves and their needs.

I got a chance to visit the PCT last weekend. I went to the Oktoberfest  celebration in Big Bear Lake.  I made sure to hike to 2 mile (4 mile round trip) Cougar Crest Trail to where it intersects with the PCT. I had hiked it last year during Oktoberfest, right after I had decided I wanted to attempt the trail, but a couple months before I committed to it. I went back to recreate the picture I had taken next to the sign. Someone had stolen the PCT symbol itself but I took the picture anyway, since it represented successfully completing what was, at that time, just a dream.

Now I need to recover physically , recognize and acknowledge the lessons I gained from the trail, and apply those lessons to my future endeavours. It is hard to pull the mind away from thru -hiking though. The US has two other long trails like the PCT. The famous Appalachian Trail and the Continental Divide Trail. People who hike all three complete the "tripple crown." Maybe someday.  First I have to take care of that whole income thing.

On to the next adventure!

Comments

  1. I was wondering how the adjustment would be for you. I can't imagine the peace and quiet on the trail to come back to noisy civilization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Susanne! Thankyou for recounting your adventure. It's been mesmerizing to read. And inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)