Trail Day 128: Tentsite (mile 2596.3) to tentsite (mile 2623.1)

26.8 PCT miles

I picked up the trail this morning, continuing the descent I had started yesterday. I wanted to get in good miles again today, so that I could be ahead of the storm that was going to hit tomorrow.

Right around first light I passed a campsite. It looked more like an encampment. This must be where the hoard of people I saw yesterday had stopped. I couldn't even count how many tents were there.

I hit some switchbacks and headed down. I soon reached the 2600 mile marker, the last of the 100 mile markers on the trail. I only have about 50 miles to the border and about 59 more miles to Manning Park.

2600 miles!
Morning light on the surrounding mountains.

The PCT.

Sunlight streaming through.


At the bottom of the descent,  I walked through a valley, getting pretty views of the surrounding mountains through autumn foliage.

View from the trail.

The PCT.

View from the trail.


Then, I had my last “big” climb of the PCT. I followed the side of the valley for a while before the trail became what seemed like endless switchbacks.

Switchbacks led up this hillside.

View from the switchbacks.


During the next section at the top of the mountains I saw quite a few day hikers. This was because I was close to Harts Pass, a trailhead which was the last official exit point before Canada. This was where people who either didn't get a Canadian entry permit or where denied an entry permit had to hike back to after reaching the border. It only recently reopened as it had been previously closed due to the Diamond Creek Fire.

View from the trail.

The PCT.

Trail sign.


Soon after, I stopped at a stream to fill up on water with another hiker. I was telling him about my plan to avoid the storm and he asked where I got the info about the storm, as everyone had been talking about it. He gets weather updates from his GPS and it was giving only a 40 percent chance of rain for tomorrow.

In all honesty, I  had gotten my forecast for the town of Mazama, which was already a couple days south of my location. Maybe the storm was supposed to hit south of where we were or perhaps the forecast had changed in the past couple days. Either way, it gave me hope for decent weather the next two days.

I hiked the last 3 miles as the sun was setting and got really pretty views of the sunset for once. Lately the sunset has been blocked by mountains. I arrived at the tentsite I had been aiming for just as the last light was fading. There was already someone there and as I was setting up my tent another person arrived to camp there as well.

27 miles to Canada!

Golden hour on the trail.

View from the trail near sunset.

The sunset was spectacular.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)