Trail Day 127: High Bridge Campground (mile 2569.4) to tentsite (mile 2596.3)

26.9 PCT miles

Today was the day of the long climb. After High Bridge, the PCT does about a 26 mile uphill climb. Luckily, because it is so long, there are parts of it that won't be as steep.

Part of the group I had been hiking around had gotten permits (we are technically in North Cascades National Park) to camp at a campground 5 miles past High Bridge. I got up early enough, and they got up late enough, that I caught up to that group. There were also other thru-hikers camped there that I had never seen before. It looks like everyone is bunched up and the bubble of hikers moving through the area just got larger.

For most of the morning and early afternoon the trail followed a creek, moving up in elevation along the hillside next to it. At the lower elevations there was some amazingly fragrant plant that smelled a bit cinnamon-y. I ran into a problem early on when I stubbed my toe on a rock and the entire front part of my shoe spit open. At least they only have to last me a couple more days.

Well, crap.
Crystal clear water.

The PCT.

View from the trail.


I ate lunch at another campsite called Hideaway. It was a really nice primitive campsite with log benches, a fireplace with a grill, easy water access to a clear stream, and a primitive toilet. It was also tucked into a treed area so there was nice shade.

Spreading out at Hideaway Camp.


During my lunch break, I attempted to fix my shoe. I put some duck tape on the inside, then some silicon sealant that had come with my air mattress,  then another layer of duck tape on the outside.  Hopefully that will hold at least for 3 more days.

Hopefully this will last.


After lunch I followed the creek a little more before turning into the forest. I continued my uphill climb, crossing log bridges until I got to Rainy Pass.

View from the trail.

Another view from the trail.

Log crossing.


Rainy Pass is a popular trailhead off of a highway. Right away I saw a man who approached me as I was crossing the road. He introduced himself as Brewhiker’s dad. He saw he was taking Brewhiker and his group into town, but that he had also brought snacks for passing thru-hikers, but didn’t anticipate so many of us moving through. He didn’t have much left, but I was able to get an apple.

On the trail itself, I walked past numerous day hikers. Many who told me “Congratulations “ on almost being at the border. One couple had carried “snack packs” with them to give out to passing thru hikers they saw on their day hike. He had two left and gave them both to me. They had a bag of chips , nature valley nut bar, and some hard candies.

From here I continued up and up and up towards Cutthroat Pass. When I  finally got there, I rounded the pass, then stayed on a steep traverse for a couple miles.

View from the trail later in the day.

The Northern Cascades.

Golden hour on the PCT.


There were a lot of thru-hikers on the trail. I now worried that the tentsite I was headed to would be occupied. As I was headed to it I was passed by 3 other thru-hikers I did not know. There will be a fight for campsites the next few days.

When I got to the tentsite I was headed to,  I found it occupied. Luckily, there was a flat dirt space on the other side of the trail, and I set my tent up there. It is hard to believe I only have about 2.5 days left of hiking to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)