AZT 2019 Day 22: Campsite near wash (mile 391.5) to Bear Spring Junction (mile 411.6)

20.1 miles

The goal of today was to go up. I was starting at about 3,800 ft and would be cresting at around 7,100 ft. The climbs were in 3 separate sections, the first starting right after my campsite.

I climbed up the shaded canyon in the morning light. It was a little more rocky of a canyon than I had previously hiked on the trail. It concerned me a little because the Mazatzal Wilderness (which I was entering) was described as “rugged.” To me rugged usually means difficult.

When I entered the Wilderness, I found well maintained trail.  It was climbing up the mountains but not ridiculously steep like around Roosevelt Lake. Additionally, I was getting great views of the surrounding mountains.

Morning views.


Soon I hit the halfway mark of the trail. The Arizona Trail app lists the Utah border at 788.7 miles. Therefore, I was counting 394.4 as halfway. It looks like I wasn't the only one, as someone commemorated the spot with rocks spelling, “BOOM” and “½”. There was also a heart made of rocks at this spot.

Halfway.

More morning views.


The trail then lost elevation. I was mad at this until I saw where it took me. The trail went down into a canyon with plenty of shade, flowing water, and wildflowers.  There were some fantastic campsites down there as well and even what appeared to be a mine shaft.

Following the cairns through the canyon.


When I exited the canyon, I enjoyed the mountain views again. There were even some wildflowers blooming on this section of trail too. Then, I noticed an arrow written in rocks on the trail. It pointed to the side where it looked like someone had written “40” in rocks. It took me a minute to see the second zero. The rocks were marking 400 miles of trail completed.

Flowers and views.

400 miles.


Soon after, I started my second big climb of the day. As soon as I found both shade and water, I took my lunch break. As I was setting up, I was passed by another hiker named Hayley. I had seen her yesterday morning as well, but we only exchanged hellos. After taking to her briefly, we found out that we were noth headed for the same spot tonight, Bear Spring. With the amount of elevation gain I had to do today, I originally wasn't sure I would make it there, but I had made good time this morning.

After lunch, I continued to climb up in elevation. I turned a corner of the trail and saw large mountains looming. Soon, I was in the pine trees with their lovely shade.

High elevation views.

Pine trees.


The climb tapered, then dipped as I crossed a saddle. The last climb of the day was one I figured wouldn't be so bad. I was definitely wrong. I had to climb up to 7,100 ft at the end of the day on tired legs. Those legs did not want to participate.

I was also being assaulted by gnats the whole time. They were landing on the most sensitive parts of my face: the tip of my nose, my nostrils, my chin, my cheek, and near my mouth. They also had an annoying “move” where they would somehow fly and land inside my sunglasses and crawl around. The only way to get them out was to take off my sunglasses and give them a good shake.

I finally hit the highest portion of the trail and descended through dead, burned trees until I reached a saddle and the junction for Bear Spring. Hayley was already there making dinner. Since it was a bit of a hike to the spring, she suggested I leave my bag there. I'm glad I did because it took way longer to get to the spring than I would have thought.

Walking through the burned trees.
Bear Spring.


After I got water, I moved back around to the campsites on the saddle I had passed. They seemed flatter, and there was a little bit more of a breeze and less gnats.

Camping on the saddle.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)