Double Zero

Besides the typical, lazy, zero days at home routine (rest, eat, hot tub, resupply, TV), the biggest excitement of this week's double zero was the trip I made to REI.  My tent zippers on the Big Agnes Copper Spur were starting to go from wear and tear, not just from the PCT, but from my previous backpacking trips as well.

The problem here was that Big Agnes is no longer producing my model of Copper Spur, the UL1 (ultralight one-person).  That made it difficult to get a replacement pole set when one of the sections of my pole had snapped.  Big Agnes ended up sending me a replacement section that I had to string through myself, because they didn't have any fully assembled poles.

Big Agnes does, however, make the newer version of my Copper Spur, the HV UL1, the HV standing for high volume.  It is the same general size as my current tent, but has a higher ceiling and more interior volume. But, because of this, it also weights 5 more ounces.  That doesn't seem like a lot, but consistently carrying that on your back for hundreds of miles makes it feel like 10 lbs.

I needed to go to REI anyway for some miscellaneous resupply items.  They were selling the Copper Spur HV UL1 in stores, and the old UL1 models were being cleared online at REI Garage.  Considering the amount of abuse I was going to put my tent through in the next couple months, I was just going to get a new one.

The problem was deciding which one.  I liked the current model I had, and it weighed less.  I was going to have issues with getting replacement parts from Big Agnes itself, but I also had the option of swapping out parts with my old tent. And, it saved 5 oz.

The HV UL1 had a lot of things going for it as well.  More interior space was a good thing, especially if I got caught in inclement weather for an extended period of time.  I could also have more room to do stretches in the morning and night to prevent injury on the trail. But, it was 5 more oz.  It was the current model being manufactured by Big Agnes, so replacement parts would be easier to obtain. But, it was 5 more oz.

I was having this discussion with my Trail Angel at REI in front of the tent section.  I do not advise ever having a discussion in front of the tent section at REI.  We had staff members consistently coming up to us and cutting off our conversation to ask if we needed help.  One of them insisted on asking what we were discussing so that he could "help." I ended up unloading the debate on him, just to prove that he couldn't help us (and therefore leave us alone).  When I finished telling him about the tents, he responded with, "Have you looked at the REI Quarter Dome?"

The Quarter Dome? Really?  The whole point of my discussion was that I didn't want to carry the extra 5 oz. The Quarter Dome is 5 oz heavier than the HV UL1 and 10 more oz than the UL1. That was not helpful.  That is when I officially moved away from the tent section to make my decision.  I ended up getting the HV UL1 from the store.  I could see how it went on the trail and, because of REI's generous return policy, return it if I didn't like it.  I ended up upgrading my rain gear (Outdoor Research Helium II Jacket and ULA rain kilt for the Frogg Toggs rain suit) this weekend which shaved off 5 oz from that anyway, so the total weight of my pack would be the same.  I'm always looking for ways to lighten it though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)