Trail Day 33: Sawmill Campground (mile 498.2) to Hiker Town (mile 517.6)

19.4 PCT miles

It was cold and windy when I woke up this morning. For once, I was OK with this. I was nearing the part of the trail that follows the LA aqueduct, a notoriously hot and shadeless stretch. The wind meant that the temperature would be cooler when I eventually got to that part of the hike.

As I packed up my tent, I was treated to a nice mountain sunrise. I headed out of the campground and it looked like everyone else was stirring as well. They were all faster hikers than me, so I was hoping to get a jump on them. It looked like that would not be happening. Sure enough, not soon after I started,  I had a group of hikers pass me.

Mountain sunrise.

About a mile into today's hike I saw the reason temperatures were going to cool down. The winds were pushing the cool, coastal cloud layer through the mountains and into the desert. It was quite an amazing sight.

Clouds putting on a show:

The trail lead down into the layer as well. When I went through a pine forest section that the cloud layer was in, it started to rain. I had never experienced rain inside a cloud layer before.  The hikers that had passed me were putting on their rain gear. I was going to just go through it without the rain gear, but one of them told me he thought the rain was going to “get worse” as he saw puddles ahead.

I put on my rain gear and walked through the forest. Sure enough, after we left the pine trees it had become mist again. The rain was localized to the pine trees.

Localized rain.

Right as we were clearing the mist, we hit the 500 mile marker.  I took pictures with the stones and continued on the trail. The first part of today was going to be uphill. I didn't appreciate the physical effort it took but I got some great views of the clouds drifting through the pass.

500 miles!

The cloud layer moving through the mountains.

The cloud layer exiting into the desert.

The rest of the morning was a tour through the mountain top. It mostly consisted of oaks and grasses, and was very beautiful. Eventually the trail connected with a dirt road that headed straight down, giving views of the desert valley below.

A lovely mountain stroll.

Mountain meadow.

Fiddlenecks in the meadow.

Views down into the desert valley

Once we got close to the valley floor, the PCT turned and did a grand tour of the foothills instead of going down to the valley.  The PCT likes to do things like this. It gives you the full tour.

So close, but still 6 miles away.
Yep, I'm definitely in the desert again.

The foothills were desert again which meant it was full of small shrubs that didn't really offer shade. The heat was radiating off the ground as well, so while the surrounding town had a high of about 75, it was 90 degrees on the trail itself.

Good thing it is May.

Finally, the trail joined a dirt road and headed into the valley. It was about 0.7 mile to my final destination for the day, Hiker Town.

The home stretch!


Hiker Town is a property in the valley right next to the trail that is a water and rest stop. It has a bunch of shelters dressed to look like an old west town that have a beds you could sleep on for $10. Those were all taken by the time I got there, so I paid $5 to pitch my tent in the yard. I was able to refill my water bottles and charge my electronics in preparation for tomorrow. Tomorrow will be a long day (aqueduct day).

Hiker Town sign on the PCT (at the corner of the property).

Hiker Town as you first enter.

One of the facades.  This one had a lounge area and an adjacent "bedroom."

Inside the "Hotel."

More facades.

Another facade.

As added entertainment, I had pitched my tent next to the fence which had neighbor pigs. I didn't they were there at the time I set my tent up, but as I was settling in to go to bed early I watched a couple pigs squaring off in either some sort of play fighting or dominance display. I also had a huge sow come curiously sniffing near the fence (I was probably easy to smell). When she saw me staring at her she ran off squealing.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)