Double Zero

Originally, this was supposed to be just a single zero day.  My Trail Angel was still going to pick me up from Walker Pass, but we were going to zero in one of the nearby towns instead of driving back and forth.  I am getting far enough north now that going "home for the weekend" doesn't quite make sense anymore.

However, my Trail Angel convinced himself that the drive wasn't that long and wanted to do a double zero.  Since I wasn't driving, I didn't have a problem with it. It was a little difficult to sit in a car for several hours after hiking all week, but I was able to hobble the stiffness out of my legs when I got to the house.

My recovery time on my rest days is improving and I actually spent the morning of my second zero day walking around Disney's California Adventure.  I checked out the line for the new Guardians of the Galaxy ride, which was already way too long, before getting a fastpass for Soarin' and waiting in the standby line for Cars.

I had to laugh because I basically did the Disney version of what my PCT hike has been like so far.  Soarin' is in the Bear Mountain section which is Disney's representation of the high elevation mountain areas of California with pine trees, waterfalls, boulders, and John Muir quotes. Cars is in their desert setting created for the movie, the town called Radiator Springs, which is a pretty good caricature of a desert town. So basically I went from pine trees to desert to pine trees again, just like on the PCT!

After Soarin' I ate lunch at the Pacific Wharf area, which is designed to be reminiscent of Monterey Bay and San Francisco wharfs.  It made me a little sad to know that I will be missing out on the California coast this summer, but I have been wanting to attempt the PCT for a while now. The coast will always be there.

After lunch I left the park to finish prepping, packing, and resupplying.  I have about 2.5 more days (or 50 miles) to Kennedy Meadows (South, there are two Kennedy Meadows).  After Kennedy Meadows I will be coming off the trail for a couple weeks for some family events.  Based on some of the condition reports from the Sierra I have seen this weekend, that may be a good thing.  There is still a lot of snow, plus the Spring melt has started.  Hopefully it will calm down a bit in that time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)