AZT 2019 Day 1: Arizona-Mexican border (mile 0.0) to campsite in Sunnyside Canyon (mile 13.6)

18.4 total miles (13.6 AZT miles)

The first day of a new long-distance trail is usually weird for me. There always seems to be a seed of doubt in my mind at the trailhead that eventually melts away once I start hiking. This time I was really excited to be at the trailhead.

I was originally supposed to start the trail a month ago, but had to postpone due to a family matter. Even a day or two ago, it seemed questionable if I would make it here on time. But, I made it! I was truthfully more relieved than nervous.

The trailhead at which I was starting was not the southern terminus. You can't drive directly to the southern terminus on the Arizona Trail. Instead, I was starting at Montezuma Pass and hiking 1.8 miles south to the border. Considering the trail is approximately 800 miles long, hiking an extra 1.8 miles isn't too big of a deal.

The road to Montezuma Pass from Sierra Vista
The trailhead at Montezuma Pass


I reached the monument pretty quickly, hung my camera from a pole, and took my southern terminus pictures. After that, I officially started the trail heading north from the monument and back the way I came. I bumped into two hikers, one being another AZT thru-hiker named Flyby. With a trail name like that, I had to assume she would be passing me in short order. I definitely didn't get particularly good training in before this hike, so I probably would be pretty slow for a while.

The trail to the terminus
The obligatory southern terminus pic.


As I hit the parking lot for Montezuma Pass, I met a ranger giving a guided hiking tour and we chatted for a bit. When I told her I my start had been delayed by a month, she informed me that it was probably a good thing because this area had been covered in snow a month ago. It definitely had been. I've seen the pictures. She also let me know that a bunch of people had also started the trail both today and the previous day, so I was in good company.

I walked past Montezuma Pass and continued uphill to the trail junction with the Miller Peak Trail at about 9000 ft in elevation, where the trail would finally start going down again. I crossed paths with several day hikers and two AZT hikers named Walker and Spooky.

Heading up.

Still heading up.


As I climbed up in elevation I eventually hit several cool, shaded sections with fragrant pine trees. It was a nice change from the sunny, exposed trail below that was starting to get a little warm.

9,000 ft.


At the junction with the Miller Peak Trail, I decided to take the detour to the peak itself. It didn't look like I was that far away and who knows when I would be here again. I took the trail and was rewarded with 360 degree views and cell signal. There were several day hikers hanging out at the top.

Looking north across the mountains from Miller Peak.

Sierra Vista from Miller Peak.


I joined back up with the AZT, and started heading to Bathtub Springs, my first water source along the trail. This is where I found all the residual snow from last month's storms was hiding. For the most part, the trail was at least partially exposed and easy to walk on. However, there were some sections where the trail had been cut through the snow slightly off from where the trail actually existed underneath.  These were fairly steep slopes, and I had seen some evidence of post holes where people had stepped down into the snow with nothing but the slope underneath. I eventually decided to kick my own steps in the snowbank above where I saw that happening.

Snow on the trail.


Eventually, I made it past the snow sections and arrived at Bathtub Springs. Bathtub Springs is exactly what it sounds like. It is a piped spring that uses a bathtub as a trough. Walker and Spooky had skipped the detour to the peak and were already there hanging out. I inquired about Flyby and apparently she had already flown by while I went up to Miller Peak. I refilled my water, ate a late lunch, then kept going on the trail.

Bathtub Springs.


Or, at least I thought I was on the trail. I was heading downhill which didn't seem right. I consulted my GPS and I was supposed to make a sharp left just after the spring. I backtracked and got back on the Arizona Trail.

A little while later I was getting great views of the north side of Miller Peak, as well as the residual snow I had just moved through. Unfortunately these views were wrong. I was way off trail. Again. I backtracked a full mile before I got back to the trail junction.

A beautiful view, but not from the AZT.


Looking a little more carefully at the junction, I was supposed to turn left instead of going straight. I had actually even stepped over a log, usually placed to tell people not to go that way, in order to take the trail I had taken. Now I was back on the correct trail, but 2 miles behind where I was supposed to be.

I had only taken enough water to get to the next water source. When I looked at where the next source was listed, I realized I had underestimated how far away that source was, and I had just added two more miles to that.

There wasn't much I could do besides keep moving forward and not panic. I would get to a water source eventually. However, at this point I would potentially get there after dark. I figured I would do some night hiking eventually on this trail, I just did not expect to do so on the first day.

Late day views.


I trudged through the trees, every once in a while getting beautiful views as I crossed a saddle. The sun was getting lower in the sky. The trail was going down too. Eventually, it descended into Sunnyside Canyon. Guess what the canyon had? Water! It also had campsites.

I was able to fill up with plenty of water and set my tent up without any night hiking. I didn't do as many trail miles as I had hoped, but I had food, water, and a place to sleep. Those are all the essentials on the trail, so I can't complain. Onto Day 2!

Video Journal:

Comments

  1. It sounds like you're off to a great start Snapper!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)