AZT 2019 Day 10: Sabino Canyon (mile 169.6) to Summerhaven (mile 183.9)

14.3 miles

After a long, strenuous day yesterday, I still was able to get myself up before dawn to start hiking. Continuing the goal from yesterday, I planned to get up to Summerhaven before the businesses closed.

Last night may have been the warmest night I have spent on trail so far. That must mean these canyons absolutely cook during the day. It is just another reason why getting up early (and getting higher in elevation) was a good idea today.

I headed up through the canyon, occasionally crossing streams. Some of the streams had a lot of debris and you had to look for cairns to continue forward. It was a lot of uphill, so I took several breaks. I was headed up about 4,000 ft in elevation. I was getting great views over the canyon as I got further up, but the temperature still seemed a little warm.


Morning creek crossing. 

Follow the cairns. 

Gaining elevation .


I finally hit 7,000 ft. I was passed by a section hiker named Sierra. It was at this point the trail got really rocky, full of large boulders. Sierra seemed to hop over them like a billy goat, but it was slow going for me.


Rocky terrain.
Mountain views.


I finally crested the highest point for the major climb of the day at 7,400 ft in elevation, and started heading down...at least for a little while. The trail was in a really rocky area and became more of a scrambling route at times. There was also a portion that didn't line up with the GPS coordinates, so I had to look for cairns (and trust that they were there). It took a long time to get through this section. I started to worry that I wouldn't make it to Summerhaven in time after all, if the rest of the mountain was like that.

Since the section was more strenuous than anticipated, I was out of water by the time I made it to Lemmon Creek. I stopped there to fill up on water and eat lunch. Luckily, past this creek the trail was more of a trail and less of a route, so I made better time.

I was walking through pine trees now, and it was beautiful. I was also seeing day hikers. I hit a junction amongst the pine trees and then followed a creek down to the road that would take me into Summerhaven.


Pine forest. 

AZT sign in the pines.

Following the creek.


My feet were killing me so I stopped in the first business I came across, Mt Lemmon Cookie Cabin. Besides cookies, they had pizza and chili. It wasn't quite dinner time, so I kind of wanted fries instead of a meal item. Unfortunately, they didn't have fries. It had cooled off and started to drizzle lightly,  so I got a hot cider, something I would have never imagined doing this morning.


Summerhaven.


I then went to the general store for snacks. The store has it's own local cell network, so I was able to check messages on their covered patio while charging my phone.  All of a sudden it started raining, and it didn't stop. I knew it was supposed to rain/snow tonight, but it wasn't supposed to start until after sunset when I had planned to be a little further down the mountain.

When it didn't stop, I asked the store manager if I could set up my tent on the patio for the night. She suggested I spend the night in the post office lobby, since it was heated and across from the community center which had heated bathrooms. When a lull in the rain hit I headed towards the post office/community center. I ran into another section hiker, Anna, who was stopping at the general store, and let her know about the shelter options.

I first checked out the bathrooms. They were very warm and had working outlets and wifi from the visitors center itself. I then ran across to the post office were Sierra had already set up for the night, as was suggested by the post lady herself. There was no outlet or wifi there, but I set up next to Sierra. Anna decided to spend the night in the bathrooms.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)