AZT 2019 Day 2: Campsite in Sunnyside Canyon (mile 13.6) to campsite near Canelo Pass Trailhead (mile 35.2)

21.6 miles

Just after sunrise, I got out of my sleeping bag and packed up my tent. Sunnyside Canyon was still pretty dark even though the sun had risen. Given its name I assume the sun hits it at some point, but seeing as I was leaving, I wasn't going to get to see it.

"Sunnyside" Canyon.


The excitement came as I had taken out my cell phone to do a short video. I saw an intense flash out of the corner of my eye, like someone had flashed a light directly at me. I turned to see a trail camera in a tree, and apparently I had triggered it. It was mounted in front of one of the few remaining pools of water in the creek, so it is probably there to document wildlife coming to get water. In addition to the wildlife pictures, there now is what I assume to be a highly unflattering picture of me with my cell phone in front of my face...just as I would like to be remembered.  

Given how popular trail/game cameras have become, one of my biggest fears is that I will step off the trail to “use the bathroom” right in front of a camera. Part of me just assumed that this has already happened at some point.

I spent the rest of the morning moving through various canyons, looking for water sources along the way. There were very short stretches where the creeks actually looked like creeks. Most of the time the creek beds were dry or had intermittent pools of water. There was one source along the way that I was really interested in seeing. It was a solar powered windmill. I guess it is some sort of a pump system that pumps water up from a well (maybe?). I went to check it out and saw the windmill turning very slowly, but nothing to indicate that water was flowing. So, I filled up at the creek instead.

Windmill.


When I wasn't in the canyons, I was crossing grassy areas dotted with trees. Prime grazing land. I passed by many cows, at various states of “chill” along the way. They all seemed to be nice cows, but after my standoff with a bull on the Florida Trail, I am a little wary of fenceless cattle encounters.

Friendly cow.
The AZT.


I also made an effort to really pay attention to trail signs today. This section made it really easy. There were tons of directional signs, flagging, and cairns. Many of them were placed together, and I assume if you miss one you would still see the other. Props to the trail maintainers in this section. Thanks for putting in the effort to make it idiot proof.

Sign.

More signs. 

Trail cairn.


The morning was pretty easy physically,  as the trail was mostly a gentle downhill slope, which meant that the afternoon was filled with the steep up and down sections through the mountains. As an added bonus, it was the hottest part of the day and it the high was supposed to be 10 degrees warmer than yesterday. The views were great though.

Back in the mountains.

Cactus bloom.

Late day views.


I managed to make it through the mountains faster than I originally thought, so I passed my original goal and headed downhill to Canelo Pass Road. There were parts of that descent that were incredibly steep. My knees were starting to get really painful, and I dont have knee problems. There were lot of loose rock here too, making the descent extra slow and difficult.

Eventually I made it down and walked through more even terrain. Amazingly, my knees instantly felt better. I walked past the Canelo Pass trailhead and walked until I found a nice, flat spot to set up camp for the night. Only 16 more miles until Patagonia.

Video Journal:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)