AZT 2019 Day 11: Summerhaven (mile 183.9) to Hwy 77/Oracle (mile 205.2)

21.3 miles

Do to the storm starting much earlier than expected yesterday, I spent last night sleeping in the Summerhaven Post Office’s lobby with Sierra. It was a heated shelter, but the lights were on all night. I pulled my neck gaiters on over my eyes and my beanie down over that in an attempt to sleep.

Both Sierra and I woke up at 4 am and looked outside. The ground was only partially covered with hail, which wasn't so bad. We went back to sleep and woke up at 5 am to a winter wonderland. I waited until 6 am for the snow to stop and, when it didn't, I started hiking anyway. Anna, who had sheltered last night in the community center bathrooms had already started out. Sierra didn't bring a waterproof layer, so she had to wait for the snow to stop.

Winter wonderland. 


I walked down the snowy street out of town, with snow falling all around me, laughing to myself. It is late in the season to hike the Arizona Trail and I knew to 90 degree F days on the trail were coming up. Walking part of the trail in a snowstorm seemed absurd.

Leaving Summerhaven. 


I got to the turnoff from the road to walk Oracle Ridge. It was still snowing and foggy. It wasn't white out conditions, but I couldn't see that far in front of me either. I walked really slow, making sure my footing was secure. Honestly, I was kind of enjoying it. It was nice and quiet and I knew it was a bit of a novelty.

Oracle Ridge.


Eventually, the snow stopped falling, but I was still in the cloud layer for a while. The trail then dipped in and out of the cloud layer for a couple miles. Eventually,  I made it below the cloud layer, but the trail was incredibly steep with loose rocks. I still was hiking at a slow pace.

In the cloud layer.

At the edge of the cloud layer. 

Underneath the cloud layer. 


Since I would be making it into Oracle today, I called the hiker friendly Oracle Village Chalets to reserve a room. On the way down, I heard back from one of the owners, Marney, that they were all booked for tonight. I had enquired about 2 nights, so she offered for me to camp on her lawn tonight, and she would have a room for me tomorrow.

I wasn't crazy about that idea, but as long as I had access to an outlet and a shower, I wouldn't mind. Sierra, who had reserved a cabin at the Chalets when she started planning her section hike, passed me soon after. I told her about the booking issue and asked if I could use her shower. It had been 8 days since my last shower and it was really bothering me. She actually offered to share her room if it was big enough.

I finally descended into the foothills and past High Jinks Ranch. It was at one time owned by Buffalo Bill Cody. There was water available there, but since I had plenty of water (and it looked like you had to go back uphill a little ways), I decided to skip it.

Looking back at the mountains. 

Coming down in elevation. 

High Jinks Ranch.


I was texting back and forth with Marney as I took my phone in and out of airplane mode. Marney and her husband Jim are also trail angels who will pick you up at several different trailheads. Sierra and I were headed to the same trailhead so we figured we could be picked up together. When I let Marney know, she offered to switch Sierra's reservation to a cabin with 2 beds. I was so relieved! I had both a shower and a bed for the night. This made the rest of the hike go much faster.

The shower was the biggest motivating factor, and I moved through the foothills, past the cacti and wildflowers at a great pace. It was hard to believe I was in snow this morning.

Different terrain. 

Wildflowers. 


I arrived at highway 77 to find Marney and Sierra waiting for me. Marney drove us to the motel and immediately showed us to our cabin, then pointed out the washing machines, loaner clothes, and an extensive hiker box. There was everything in the hiker box from extra food to electronics to toiletries. Not only would my my shower involve soap/shampoo/conditioner, but it also would involve body wash and moisturizing lotion. Sierra even found a moisturizing face mask (which she claimed).

I immediately took the shower I was longing for, and then did laundry. Marney and Jim went out to pick up food and let me put in an order for a big Philly cheesesteak sandwich. After that, Sierra and I went to bed early, this time with the lights off.

Marney drove us to Chalets. Showed room, washing machine, hiker box. Immediately showered and did laundry. Went to sleep early, but with lights off.

Comments

  1. Still enjoying following along with you on your hike. You were walking through snow as I was reading posts of temps in the mid 90’s around Kearny. Continued good fortune to you as you head north.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)