AZT 2019 Day 6: Forest Road 4026 (mile 92.5) to Cienega Creek (mile 113.0)

20.5 miles

It was a super overcast day when I got up this morning. I knew it was supposed to rain at some point, so when I got to the first hill that had cell signal, I checked the forecast. It looked like the main part of the storm was supposed to start around noon and continue through the afternoon.

At the end of the day yesterday, the vegetation had started to change from grasses to cacti, mostly ocotillos. That change continued throughout the morning with other desert and desert-like plants being added including prickly pear cactus, cholla, agave, yuccas, and barrel cactuses.


Ocotillos.
Prickly pear cactus. 


As always, there were cows. After about 7 miles, I stopped at a water source called Twin Tanks. It was a cattle tank, but my only guaranteed water source for the next 13 miles. I have filtered water from cow ponds before, and it has been fine, I just try to avoid it at all costs. I filtered some water, and as I finished, a couple of cows came down to get water themselves. They didn't seem happy about having to share.


Cow water. 


The next part of the trail was full of diverse wildflowers. Unfortunately, not all the flowers were open because it was so overcast. I bet that section looked amazing in the sun. I could see the storm coming, it was hitting the mountains to the north.

Wildflowers on the trail.
Wildflower diversity. 
The storm is coming.


Next, I came down in elevation and walked through what looked like a manicured cactus garden, complete with little white flowers filling in the gaps. It was here that I started to see traces of civilization. I was passed by several mountain bikers and a lady walking her dog.


This looks like a garden.
Right?


Finally, I came to a trailhead next to a paved road. I saw a metal box that looked like it could be a trash can. It turned out to be a food storage/resupply box, and it had water in it! I had already walked past several trailheads where trail angels leave water, only to find them empty. This one was fully stocked! I dumped out a liter of filtered cow water and replaced it with cold, drinking water.


I love trail angels!
At this point, I could see the storm to the north and south of me, but it looked like I was benefiting from a split in the storm front. I was preparing all day to get wet, but the storm ended up parting around me. I counted myself lucky.


The storm to the south.


I finished the day by crossing under I-10 and walking past Gabe Zimmerman Trailhead. It was named to honor an aide to Gabrielle Giffords, who was killed in an assassination attempt on Giffords in 2011. She survived, but Zimmerman (an avid hiker) and 5 others died.


The I-10 underpass.
Gabe Zimmerman Trailhead.


I ended the day at Cienega Creek. It had plenty of water, and I even saw a javelina come down to the creek in the evening. Unfortunately, it is right next to the train tracks, with trains screaming through fairly regularly.


Cienega Creek.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)