AZT 2019 Day 4: Patagonia (mile 51.2) to campsite near creek (mile 71.1)

22.9 miles (19.9 AZT miles)

I left Patagonia around sunrise feeling clean and refreshed. I also wondered how long that feeling would last. The temperature was going to be much cooler today, so I wouldn't be sweating as much, but I still get dirty very quickly on the trail.

The excitement for the morning was a trail detour soon after leaving town. The notes about the detour were about as mixed as they get. Some people declared it the worst detour ever, some people claimed they had to bushwhack to rejoin the trail because they lost the detour trail, and some people said it was easy to follow.  While in town I attempted to find a map of the detour, but the only information I found about it stated “follow the flagging.”

I reached the start of the detour and was at the mercy of the flagging. The beginning started out great. There were big signs noting the detour and the first couple trees has so much flagging they looked like they were teepeed. For a while it seemed like every tree had at least one piece of flagging tape.

Detour flagging.


The detour started out following some dirt roads that steeply went up and down without regard for hikers’ legs. It was in this section I saw a harmless gopher snake, my first snake of the trail. The detour then followed a fence line to another two track road. The flagging was more sparce in this section, but you were just following a road the whole time, so it would have been a challenge to get lost.


Detour roads.
Gopher snake.


Finally, the detour followed some cow paths to a canyon. Again, everything was flagged pretty well until the very end where the detour temporarily climbed out of the canyon, went back in, then climbed out again. Several times in this section I had to stop and search in multiple directions to find the next flagged tree. I didn't have to do that for too far of a distance and eventually made it back onto the real Arizona Trail.

Having a hard time seeing flagging in this picture? So did I.


The trail in this section was mostly dirt roads leading up higher into the mountains. It followed a nice, flowing stream for a while. I found a nice, shaded area by the stream to take a lunch break. There were some cows there originally, but apparently they don't like to share and moved away at my approach.


Heading up the mountain. 
A shaded stream.
What?


After lunch I went further up the trail and encountered my first bull. On the Florida Trail I encountered an angry bull on the trail, and it ended up being a terrifying moment. This bull was much more relaxed and let me pass without issue. Further up trail was another bull who actually got out of the way as I approached.


Friendly bull.


Eventually, I made it to an elevation that had lots of trees. The AZT became a single track trail again and I slowly climbed up until I hit a saddle and came down the other side.


Looking back towards Patagonia.


Soon I hit Casa Blanca Canyon, which had a creek full of running water. The trail itself cut along the side of the canyon, giving some great views with the evening sun.

I then made my way to Tunnel Spring where I read about how a tunnel was built in an attempt to do hydraulic mining in the area. I had seen what looked like irritation ruins along the way, and it was nice to have some context for those sites.

I made my way about a mile past the Tunnel Spring Trailhead on swollen, weary legs and found a campsite next to the creek for the night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)