AZT 2019 Day 18: Reavis Canyon Trailhead (mile 310.7) to campsite on saddle (mile 332.5)

21.8 miles

I got up before dawn again and started hiking up the canyon. My goal was to finish the canyon and start the 2,000+ ft gain in elevation before the hills got hot.

I had originally planned to camp at the corral just after the trailhead, but I had set my tent up when I saw there was dirt space at the trailhead.

I walked through the canyons, crossing streams regularly. What a difference a few miles makes on this trail! Below highway 60 there was no flowing water. I was also walking through grasses that were wet with dew and soaking my shoes and pants.  Weird.

I slowly tackled the steepest part of the uphill as the sun was rising in the sky. The grasses on the climb were overgrown and sometimes came to shoulder height. It was more bushwhacking than hiking at times. I was also trying to rustle the grasses in front of me so that I could scare away anything that might be trying to hide in there.

Sunrise from the grasses.

The climb north of Superior. 


When I got above 5,000 ft in elevation, I started walking through trees. The air was cooler and I was even getting some shade. I followed forest roads until I entered the Superstion Wilderness on a hiking trail. Here, I followed flowing creeks and the trail was surrounded by wildflowers at times.
Entering the Superstition Wilderness. 

View through the canyons.

Wildflowers on the trail.

Beautiful, running water.



I had another uphill climb, out of the canyons I had been following since entering the Wilderness.  The climb up displayed how green the surrounding area was and, when I crossed Reavis Saddle, I was rewarded with pine trees, forests, meadows, and flat trail.

Climbing out of the canyons.

Trees.


Water.


There were so many great campsites here, most complete with fire circles. This area was truly a camper’s paradise. I followed a creek and passed the concrete foundations that used to be Reavis Ranch.

The foundations of Reavis Ranch.


Soon after the meadows, I crossed a hill and was on a more rockier side of the mountain. The trail then weaved it's way up and down through the mountains.

Leaving the meadows.


I had seen notes about a nice campsite on a saddle with views of Roosevelt Lake. Looking at my pace for the day, it looked like I might get there early as well and have the time to really enjoy the site.

Then, I encountered the canyon. For some reason, the trail went straight down a canyon (approx 1,000 ft), then straight up the other side. When I say straight down, I mean it serpentined slightly, but went straight down. It looked like a slide at times. And, it was covered in loose rocks.

The trail late in the day.


I inched my way down,  trying to resist the urge to slide down on my butt. I talked myself out of it because I knew it would hurt too much and rip out my pants. I got to the bottom and slowly moved up the other side.

I made it to the campsite just after sunset, exhausted and breathing hard. So much for getting there early and having an easy day on the trail.

Comments

  1. You are not alone in your assessment of that section of the trail......I believe it is the consensus of most hikers that this portion of the trail rates as too steep, compounded by the rocky tread........slip sliding away. (-;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another hiker I talked to described it as rock skiing.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)