FT2018 Day 26: Clearwater Recreation Area (mile 409.9) to Alexander Springs (mile 420.0)

10.1 FT miles, plus 0.5 mile to the springs

I retrieved my fully charged battery from the host’s site at the campground, and headed back to the trailhead. I had a busy day ahead of me. I really wanted to swim in Alexander Springs, but also wanted to get as far up the trail afterwards as I could.

There was going to be rain and thunderstorms most of tomorrow. Chance of rain was 90-100% at point, so it looked like I would not be able to avoid this one. The plan was to get as far after Alexander Springs as I could, then walk to the junction before Jupiter Springs tomorrow and wait out the worst of the rain in my tent tomorrow afternoon.

As light started to make its appearance on the trail, I saw plenty of deer. They were always kind of far away, but the deer in the area have large white undersides to their tails. When they run away, the tails go up, so all morning I was watching white butts bouncing away from me.

Humid morning on the trail.


The forest was nice. The growth looked healthy and there weren't trails everywhere or little alterations that people have made. The best word I can think of to describe many of the other areas prior to this one is “used.” It is not that the National Forest isn't used, far from it, it was more likely an issue of better management/preservation. Even the Florida Trail itself was much easier to follow.

Pretty section of the forest.


I spent the morning going through woods, palmettos, shrubs, and lichen. It was kind of humid, so I was having one of those days where you need to make frequent stops. During these stops, I would check my phone.

Boardwalk trail.


Last night, one of the other hikers put up a last minute request on Facebook for a ride to Billy Goat Days tomorrow, which is an annual Florida Trail social event. Originally, I wasn't going to go, as big social events aren't my thing, but it was going to be raining tomorrow and I wasn’t going to get much hiking in anyway.

I had responded to the Facebook post about being interested if a last minute ride became available. There was a post from a trail angel, Joan, that she would make a stop at Clearwater Recreation Area in the evening to pick up people to take to her house for the night and Billy Goat Days tomorrow.

I had already hiked over five miles from Clearwater Recreation Area, so it looked like I had missed that ride, and left a comment about how I would continue to Alexander Springs. Another hiker responded to my comment to let me know that she was being picked up by the same trail angel at Alexander Springs.

So, now my plans had changed. I was coming off trail for Billy Goat Days tonight. That meant that I had a morning hike to the springs, then a couple hours of swimming, and then I could just hang at the springs until being picked up.

Vlog 1


I got to Alexander Springs, paid my day use fee, and went down to the springs themselves. It was an overcast day, so I wasn't getting the gorgeous turquoises of the freshwater springs, but it was still beautiful. There was a swimming area where it was shallow and clear.

Blue blazed spur trail to Alexander Springs. 
Alexander Springs. 
Fish in the spring.
Outlet from the springs.


The swimming area was large and roped off down steam where the canoes seemed to be launched.  In the swimming area I could see a spot on the other side where the water turned a darker blue. That was where all the scuba divers were. The area was teeming with scuba divers and they vastly outnumbered the amount of recreational swimmers.

I went back up to the store/bathrooms to change, then headed back down to the springs. Most people drove to the springs, so I was definitely out of place with my big backpack. I set it down in a grassy area near the steps, and headed in.

The water is consistently 72 degrees (F) year round. I was getting in at the same time as some scuba divers and, even in their wetsuits, they were complaining about how cold the water was. It wasn't that bad, especially in a wetsuit. Once I dunked my whole body in for about 30 seconds, it was fine. It was refreshing but still comfortable.

I swam around for a little which felt really good. I was able to get the muscles in my arms/back moving and kick out the stiffness in my legs and feet. Eventually, I went back to my bag for my phone to try some vlogging in the springs themselves. My phone was in a Lifeproof case, so it should be able to handle the water, but it was still a bit of a risk. It took video underwater just fine, but the sound was a little garbled when the phone was wet.

Vlog 2


After enjoying the springs, I hopped out, changed back into my clothes and got some snacks from the convenience store. I noticed a plug near a bench outside the store, so I sat there and charged my phone while I ate a late lunch.

While I was eating lunch a man approached me. It turns out that he and his girlfriend have been following along with the vlogs. There aren't really that many people who are regularly watching them so this was a cool, surprise encounter. I was a little too surprised because I forgot their names while taking in the coincidence. Sorry, guys, but thanks for following along!

Soon after this, Woodchuck showed up. I knew she was getting a ride to Billy Goat Days, and probably from the same trail angel, but I thought she would be picked up further back. She had seen the Facebook post and decided to come to the springs instead. We sat outside the store enjoying ice cream and then went to wait for Joan at the picnic tables by the entrance.

Joan got to the springs before the other hiker, Sugar Rush (Cayte), did. She already had Good Man Gramps (Andrew) in the car. We all made another snack trip to the store and waited for Sugar Rush. After that, we picked up Chopsticks (Jeremy) from Clearwater Recreation Area and headed back to the town of Oviedo, stopping at a Publix along the way.

Joan had pulled out all the stops with food. We snacked on crackers, summer sausage, and chili cream cheese spread. For dinner she made us a salad with fresh fruit, huge slices of cornbread, and a hearty southwest chowder. We could not keep up and were all bursting. We had to take a long break between dinner and dessert. Joan also let us shower and do laundry. We chatted until everyone got too tired and went to bed. I was able to sleep on a cushy couch next to an outlet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)