FT2018 Day 28: Alexander Springs (mile 420.0) to Campsite near Juniper Springs junction (437.7)

17.7 FT miles, plus 0.4 spur trail from Alexander Springs

It rained last night. Like, really rained. My tent has never seen that kind of action before and I was worried about how it would hold up, especially after I felt a couple drops  fall on my sleeping bag when I went to bed last night. I think the drops were just condensation, since I was still dry when I woke up this morning.

It was still raining as the sun came up. I had camped with Woodchuck last night and when we both realized we were awake, we started shouting at each other through our tents, asking each other when we thought the rain might stop. I had network, so I checked the forecast. It was looking like it would either stop or slow down around 7-7:15 am.

As soon as it slowed down, I packed up my tent. I headed out on trail and was soon surrounded by sugar pines. There were a lot of them. Usually, I just walk through a patch or two, but this was a huge forest of pines.

Walking the pine forest.


Eventually, I headed out of the pine forest to an area with a variety of vegetation, occasionally creating a canopy overhead. This area was absolutely covered with mosses and lichens, including the cool sponge-like lichens that are found on the ground.

Following the blazes.
Lichens and mosses.


About 8 miles into the day, I hit Farles Prairie. I thought I was hitting a trailhead,  but I actually walked out onto an area that had picnic tables, a pitcher pump, and pit toilets in a nice setting next to a lake. I figured this would be a nice spot for a lunch break.

Moody day at Farles Lake.
More mood.


After lunch I walked around Farles Prairie for several miles. It was a dark, grey day and the audiobook I had been listening to wasn't holding my attention. I had seen The Yearling Trail further ahead on the app and remembered that the book, The Yearling,  was supposed to take place in the area.  Sure enough, they mentioned Juniper Creek, but the story hadn't caught my imagination yet and I was growing restless.

The trail near Farles Prairie. 
Farles Prairie. 
Vlog 1


I took another break only 2 miles from where I had eaten lunch. I was enjoying the mental reset when I heard a loud noise approaching. It sounded like an airplane. It was a military jet and it was flying fairly low. It made a screaming noise when it went over. It made a second pass, this time directly over me and seemingly not to far above the tree tops.

While in one sense it was interesting to see, it was not helping with my relaxation, which was the point of taking the break in the first place.  As I got up, the jets made a few more passes a bit higher up.

The Florida Trail .


I walked around Farles Prairie for a long time before heading into an area with palms and oaks. I was in this vegetation for a while and eventually hit SR 40, which was a very busy highway. It also meant that I was close to my destination for the day, the junction to the spur trail that leads to Juniper Springs.

The trail towards the end of the day.
The final stretch .
Vlog 2


I walked a little over a mile a mile until I was just outside that junction.  There was an opening through the brush that almost looked like an unmarked trail. I went down it a bit until I found a decent sized opening to set up my tent. I had just gotten settled when I heard a rustling noise that sounded like someone setting up a tent.

It was Woodchuck. She had independently picked the same spot but had chosen to set up on the opposite side the trail. We chatted for a short time, then retreated to our tents for the night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)