FT2018 Day 36: Cobb Hunt Camp (mile 587.5) to Madison Shelter (mile 611.3)

23.8 FT miles

I started hiking in the early morning, just about first light. It wasn't long until I first hit water on the trail. At first, I was trying to tiptoe around the pools, but eventually realized it was futile.

The water was really cold. Some places it was a little deep. There was at least one time in the early light that I missed a blaze indicating a turn because my eyes were looking down, trying to figure out my way through the water.

A very useful boardwalk.


Eventually, the sun rose and I became hungry. There really wasn't a dry spot to set my bag down. Even the drier sections of the trail were a little soggy. I reached a boardwalk over a cypress swamp and decided to set my bag and mat down right in the middle of it. This hasn’t been a busy trail, so no one was probably crossing soon anyway.

Morning breakfast spot.
Morning reflections in the swamp.


The forest itself was really pretty to walk through,  despite the water issues. It was dense with pines (dense for Florida) and blanketed with green palmettos. Add in a blue, sky and it made for a pretty morning.

Crossing I-10.
Morning in the pine forest.
Blue skies.
Flooded trail.
Pines and palmettos .
The Florida Trail. 
Vlog 1


Further down the trail, I started to hit areas that had recently been subjected to controlled burns. I mean recently as in the past few days. The whole area still smelled strongly of charred wood.

The extent of the burn areas made things a little difficult, as it was lunchtime and I wasn't seeing an area to put my pack down. I ended up limping with swollen feet to the West Tower Campground junction.

The campground was labeled as 0.3 mile off trail, but I figured there would be space at the junction to set my mat down. I was happy to see that the picnic tables and fire rings extended all the way to the trail.

I picked a table and stripped my soaking wet shoes and socks off. I had walked without a break longer than usual so my feet were swollen. I had been constantly in and out of water, so they were also a bit pickled.

I was also behind schedule. All that wading through water had slowed my pace down. Despite this, I still took an hour long lunch break because I needed the rest and to dry out. I even made the 0.3 mile walk (without my backpack) to use the campground’s flush toilets and to fill up on potable water.

After lunch, I tried to move through the National Forest as quickly as possible. It proved difficult. I was still moving in and out of patches of recently burned forest and the flooding was still persistent. There were multiple boardwalks that I crossed that were pretty useless, because they ended well before the water did.

Another useful boardwalk.


I dragged myself out of the forest boundary at about 4:15 pm. I had over 6 miles of road walking to the next shelter and about only 2 hours of visible light to do it. And, it was tired from all the extra effort of wading.

I put my head down and made the best time I could on my tired legs and swollen feet. I usually take an afternoon break, but I had to forgo it because I was so behind schedule.

End of the day roadwalk.


The next shelter was on the property of Randy Madison, a friend of the trail who lets  FTA members cut through and stay on his property. I got there just as the last bit of daylight was fading.

Vlog 2


The shelter was a screened in room with a fireplace, chairs, a table and a rocking chair. Oh my god, where has that rocking chair been my whole hike! My body was flooded with comfort and relief when I sat down in it. No wonder those used to be coveted chairs. They are like therapy after a hard day’s work. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)