FT2018 Day 29: Campsite near Juniper Springs junction (mile 437.7) to Campsite near forest road (mile 457.3)

19.6 FT miles

I slept in again today. I was 0.1 mile away from Juniper Springs and the area didn't open until 8 am. It was cold as well, so I was in no hurry to get out of my sleeping bag.

I eventually packed up and saw Woodchuck on the other side of the trail doing the same. I went over to visit with her. I had looked up kayak/canoe rentals for Jupiter Run, and they were more expensive than I had thought.

When I relayed the info, she looked at me like I was crazy. She told me she had decided not to do it, as it was too cold to. She was kind of right. It was 42 degrees (F) out and our bodies were steaming a little. It was not the kind of weather to get wet. I said I would go down and check out the spring and rental info anyway.

I paid my day use fee and headed towards the spring. I passed the bathrooms and was taking a tour around the pavilion, looking for an outlet to charge my phone, when Woodchuck came ambling by. She had decided to come down and check things out anyway.

We went to the convenience store to get some snacks and I asked for info on rentals. I was given a brochure, but was told that the run was currently closed due to high water levels. I felt less guilty about my earlier decision to not do the run today.

Woodchuck headed back to the trail, but I went to explore the springs. Juniper Springs was right next to the convenience store, but there was another spring, Fern Hammock Springs, that was reportedly worth checking out.

I walked around Juniper Springs. It was a nice clear-blue swimming hole complete with steps to get in and out. There was a mill that separated the swimming area from the stream. I walked to the mill. It was empty with the exception of some posters about the CCC, who built the surrounding area.

The swimming area at Juniper Springs .
The mill at Junpier Springs .
A CCC constructed bridge at Junpier Springs 


I continued on my search for Fern Hammock Springs.  I went through a campground and found a path leading to the springs. Fern Hammock Springs was much prettier than Juniper Springs. It was surrounded by green vegetation and ranged in color from crystal clear to a deep turquoise. It was steaming slightly and the morning light was sparkling off the water. It was definitely worth the entrance fee.

Fern Hammock Springs .
The bridge over Fern Hammock Springs. 
Fern Hammock Springs from the other side.
Steam and sunlight sparkling off Fern Hammock Springs .
Vlog 1


I stayed there for a while, then headed back to Juniper Springs. I took a look around the swimming area, then hit the bathrooms and refilled my water. I had signal, so I checked Facebook for trail updates. There was a post about doing trail magic at Pat’s Island if hikers were in the area. That was exactly where Woodchuck and I were headed, so I left a response saying we would be there midday or early afternoon.

Then, I headed down the trail, moving through more scrub. Eventually I came out on an area that other hikers had been excited about called Hidden Pond. They were excited because it was a clear water pond that was outside of the tourist areas, so you had to hike there if you actually wanted to see it.

Heading down the trail.
A praire pond.


The pond was pretty, but didn't quite have the beauty of the springs. The water was clear where it was shallow, but that was only in one little spot. The interesting thing about this site was that I found bear prints in the sand.

Hidden Pond.
Bear print in the sand.


I kept going towards Pat’s Island Trailhead. I was surprised to bump into several day hikers. They had seen both Woodchuck and Chopsticks. Chopsticks was making great time as, after Billy Goat Day, he was dropped off 10 miles behind us.

I passed the Yearling Trail. The Yearling was the audiobook I was currently listening to since it was set in the area. Supposedly, Pat’s Island was the inspiration for the setting. I haven't been able to get into the story so far, but I think I am still early in the story. Right now, it is just about the good natured father and son making a living in the scrub. There is no yearling yet.

I got to Pat’s Island Trailhead and no one was there. I thought I had been punked.  I still had service, so I checked the Facebook thread and saw that the trail magic had been moved about a mile down the trail.

I walked down the trail until I saw a little plastic plate saying “CopperTone is here.” CopperTone is a trail angel, who mostly does his magic on the PCT. Somehow I totally missed him last year. He had his own trail register that he had brought with him. It was fun for me to go through as I recognized several of the names in the log.

He had cookies, chips, bananas, and made me a root beer float. I sat with him and Woodchuck for a while, and we were able to finally dry out our tents from last night’s condensation. After about an hour, it was time to keep going. I thanked CopperTone and packed up my belongings.

A fresh root beer float.
CopperTone and Woodchuck's foot (She does not like to be photographed).
Enjoying my treat.


I immediately passed a large sinkhole filled with water. There was a wood structure on the opposite bank. Could those have been the troughs the author of The Yearling kept mentioning? The family did have a sinkhole on property where they got water and did laundry.

Sinkhole near Pat's Island .


I soon reached Hopkins Prairie and was walking the edge of it for several hours. It was a huge prairie and I spent most of the rest of the day walking around it. I could see the forest service doing controlled burns in the distance. I was OK with this as long as they stayed controlled and in the distance.

Hopkins Prairie 
Treeline around Hopkins Prairie .
The trail around Hopkins Prairie. 
Late afternoon on a pond in Hopkins Prairie.

Vlog 2


As the sun went down, I still felt like walking a little more. Since I was in an area that allowed dispersed camping, and the trail was easy to follow, I thought I would take advantage of it. It was great. It felt like I was walking a real trail again. No more having to plan ahead for a campsite or call for permission. No fumbling around in the dark with my GPS on to try to figure out where to go. I could just walk until I wanted to stop.

I stopped a little before 8 pm in a pine forest where I found a nice, sandy spot to set up my tent. Despite getting up late and taking side trip, I had done almost 20 miles today. I need to pick up the pace as I am behind schedule already. I have stopped to smell too many roses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)