FT2018 Day 39: Swift Creek (mile 630.1) to Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0)

21.9 FT miles

I woke up fairly early and waited for the sunrise. Around 6 am I got impatient, packed up and left. Luckily, I wasn't walking in the dark for very long.

I crossed under I-10 and followed the Suwannee River. The trail went down and up whenever it crossed one of the many tributaries leading into the river.

Morning on the river.
A rare tributary crossing that had a bridge.


The tributaries were all the color of tea from all the tannins. Any time the water was disturbed (e.g. rapids, waterfalls), it bubbled up with foam. I was dismayed when I learned I would be consistently getting my feet wet today while crossing tributaries. I haven't been able to walk in dry socks very much lately.

Tributary and steps up its bank.
Waterfall bubble bath .


It was an overcast day and the river itself looked black. It was full of beaches of pure white sand, which contrasted with the black water. Further along the river, the banks were made of limestone.

The Suwannee River. 
Limestone banks.
Black water and white sand.
Vlog 1


The trail was easy and pleasant, but the grey skies were a mood killer. I stopped at a stream for a long lunch and a mental reset. I was behind schedule too. All the travelling down and up the tributary banks had taken more time than I had imagined. Originally, I was going to stop to see the ruins of another turn of the century sulfur springs spa, but I had to skip it.

I walked more of river, crossing more tributaries.  There was also quite a bit of private land, some which had huge mansions, some which had tiny cabins or trailer homes. I only saw one person, but he was friendly as I crossed the area between his yard and his dock.

Late into the afternoon the sun came out. I thought it would make the river more reddish but it still stayed black. However, the reflections on the water were nicer and the trees were prettier next to the sky.

A tributary in the afternoon.
The trail at the end of the day.


Around dusk, I  dragged myself into Holton Creek River Camp.  I talked to the camp host and it turns out there are five of these river camps along the river, though this is the only one the Florida Trail runs through. They are free to hikers and paddlers and have screened-in shelters that have lights, outlets, picnic tables, grills, and potable water. I managed to get one all to myself, even though they sleep eight. It was directly next to the bathhouse which had flush toilets and hot showers. 

My roomy shelter .

Vlog 2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)