AZT 2019 Day 20: Vineyard Trailhead (mile 348.3) to campsite near Forest Road 422 (mile 369.1)

20.8 miles

It was another pre-dawn start. Especially after my exhaustion from yesterday, I would have loved to have slept in or at least gotten up after dawn. However, I had to climb from about 2,200 ft to almost 6,000 ft today. I needed to get out of those lower elevations as early in the day as possible. I am looking forward to the day that I do not have to hike around the weather.

Besides avoiding the worst of the heat, there are advantages to getting up early. I got to see the dawn light up the lake while the surroundings were still dark. Then, I got to see the sunrise.

Roosevelt Lake at dawn.

Sunrise.


Early on in the hike I had great views of the Salt River, upstream of Roosevelt Dam. The area I was hiking was dominated by grasses, dotted with cacti. After my initial ascent from the road, I rolled through these grassy hills before reaching the next set of mountains.

Salt River.

The grasses at golden hour.

Saguaros at golden hour.


I could see the line of green where the grasses ended and the shrubs started. At least the shrubs would cast a little shade. The trail rose steeply through the shrubs, and I stopped briefly at Buckhorn Creek to fill up on water. The weight of the water, combined with the weight of 6 days of food made the rest of the uphill very slow.

Heading up.

Buckhorn Creek. 


I spent the rest of the day hiking Four Peaks Wilderness. I realized why it was called Four Peaks Wilderness when I rounded a corner and saw four mountain peaks right next to each other.

Four Peaks Wilderness. 


The trail in this area was pretty grueling. It was a single track etched into the side of the mountain. It sometimes rose and fell rather steeply, with plenty of loose rocks on the trail. Occasionally, there were large rocks to scramble over. All that extra exertion made thise sections of the trail feel especially hot.

I saw two rattlesnakes along the way, numbers 6 and 7 of the hike. The first couple rattlesnakes I saw seemed to be the same species, but now I have been seeing a variety of species. I wish I had taken the time to learn them before the trail.

Rattlesnake #6.

Rattlesnake #7.


Just before Shake Creek the trail became a little less challenging. I assume I picked up the pace, but it was hard to tell because I was pretty tired. I filled up for a heavy water carry, then passed Pigeon Spring and joined a series of forest roads.

Shake Creek.


The sun was setting and I got a last glimpse back at Roosevelt Lake, which I had been seeing all day. My feet were sore, so I picked the first appropriate campsite next to the road to set up my tent.

Roosevelt Lake sunset.


It was an exhausting day, but at least I was back to having “normal” days on the AZT, a relief after yesterday's drama.

Comments

  1. Happy you had a normal day on the AZT......keep on.......(-;

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)