AZT 2019 Day 30: Sheepherders Tank (mile 504.2) to campsite near tank (mile 531.3)

27.1 miles

I tried looking at what the day had in store for my on the Arizona Trail app. Pretty much the only things labeled were forest roads, trail junctions, and stock tanks. Nothing too exciting.

The morning turned out mostly as described.  I left the tank I camped at last night on a forest road, then joined another forest road, then a footpath for a short while, then another forest road.

Hiking a forest road. 


The signs could have been a little better in this section. I had to keep looking at my app to make sure I knew where to turn. After a while the signage got better and I turned onto another footpath.


A footpath section of trail.

I was heading to a spring I wanted to use as a water source. When I checked the app, it showed me off trail. I knew I couldn't have been off trail because I turned at a very clear “Arizona Trail” sign. On the app, the trail followed forest roads. I figured the footpath must be new and the app hadn't been updated.

I had to pick a new water source because the spring was no longer on the current route. Luckily, the new trail rejoined the old trail just before Bargaman Tank.

I was pretty impressed with this tank. It had flow from a creek as input and created a little creek as an output. It is not often that you find tanks with active water flow. I set my bag down next to the input creek, filled up on water, and ate lunch.


Bargaman Tank.

Not a bad spot for lunch.


The afternoon was more of the same. I followed forest roads and footpaths. Again, I had one stretch of footpath trail not line up with the GPS on the app. The big difference was that everything was much more green in this section. There were new, green grasses growing everywhere dotted with dandelions.


A much greener trail.

Dandelions. 


Towards the end of the day I started seeing water caches in random spots, usually 1-2 gallons. I didn't really need water at the time, but I was annoyed to find that hikers were using most of one gallon, but leaving some water in the bottom and opening the next so that they would not have to pack out an empty jug. It made me very angry.

When I hit Gooseberry Springs Trailhead, I needed to fill up with water. I saw 3 gallon jugs waiting by the trail register. As I approached I expected to find them all partially empty and realized that I could be packing out all 3 jugs because other hikers are lazy. To my surprise they were full. I was able to use about half of one and not have to pack it out.


Thank you trail angel!


As the sun started to go down, I started to search for a camping spot. As luck would have it, I was walking through a very rocky section with no comfortable place to set my tent up. I went several miles before I found somewhere suitable. I managed to find a rock free, flat spot on some pine needles near a stock tank.


Evening light in the forest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)