Trail Day 3: Cibbets Flat (mile 32.6, plus .8 mile from campground) to Penny Pines Trailhead (mile 48.7)


16.1 PCT miles, plus .8 mile from campground

After yesterday's losing battle with the heat,  I tried to get up really early to get as high up in elevation as quickly as possible. I was headed towards Mt. Laguna today, which is at 6,000-something feet. The midday temps would definitely be much cooler and there should be pine trees to provide shade.

I set my alarm for 5 am, but it was still pretty cold when I woke up. I ended up taking my sweet time packing everything up and checking the water report multiple times to see what the day’s strategy for maintaining my water supply would be. I didn't end up leaving until after 6 am when the sky was already starting to brighten. I knew once the sun came out everything would start to cook pretty quickly.

I hit the trail and made really good progress. This stretch was so much easier in cooler weather,  although it already seemed like it was getting toasty by 7 am.
Looking south down the mountains near sunrise.


Several miles in I realized I would have to dig my first “cat hole.” I eventually found a large, open space along the side of the trail that could be used by several tents. There was also a small path leading past the campsites and through the shrubs to a fairly private spot. While there, and in an embarrassing position, I was paranoid that the two men I saw earlier in the day would also enter the campsite and down the trail, stumbling upon me in this position.

I quickly hurried up and raced out of the shrubs so that I could keep my business secret. That is when I bumped into the Swiss couple that I had been leapfrogging on the first day.

“Making breakfast?,” the man asked.

“Yeah,” I said. In my hands were my toilet paper baggies and my hand sanitizer.  I was clearly not making breakfast.  They were, though. They had their pan out and had started cooking some oatmeal. I made some short, awkward conversation with them in an attempt to make the situation less embarrassing, but I think I failed at that.

I continued along the mountainside until I reached a small creek. I still had plenty of water left, but I knew my water sources were going to start becoming further apart, so I grabbed some to filter and drink right there. After the creek I saw my first pine trees.
Filling up the bag for my Sawyer Mini water filter
First pine trees along the trail!

It took me a while after that to hit the pine forest, but, when I did, it was a different world.  It was shaded, peaceful and filled with tiny blue flowers. I took a break on a log and grabbed a snack. I was starting to get some pains in my feet. I always worry when this happens since I have a history of foot injuries.  They have all come from pushing too hard through what seem like harmless pains.
Wildflowers and pine cones.

Definitely a welcome change in scenery!

Trail signs.

Originally, I was going to hike during the week and rest at home on the weekends, since I live in southern California. However, I convinced myself that since I had the option to do so, I should take a rest day or, in thru-hikers terminology, a zero (zero mile day) tomorrow to rest my feet just in case. My trail angel was going to meet me today anyway because I left my DSLR camera in his car last night. I have been taking cell phone pics all day. It has been weird.

Not having to worry about making it to a campsite or campground, I slowed down my pace and left the pine forest as the trail wrapped around to the desert-facing side of the mountain. Here it was hot and exposed again, though about 20 degrees cooler than what I experienced yesterday.

I made it to the Desert View Picnic area, day day use facility for the nearby town of Mt. Laguna, and found a large picnic table under a tree. I ate lunch and then laid down on top of the picnic table, propping my feet up on my bag. Several thru-hikers passed through the area, including a woman I had seen on the first day.
The Desert View Picnic Area

The woman was part of a group I referred to in my head as Team Europe. While taking a break on my first day I was passed consecutively by several hikers with German and Germanic-sounding accents. She was among them. I noticed she was also wearing a long sleeved blue shirt and a dark cap. I have already been mistaken for another thru-hiker twice now and I am wondering if it is because we are wearing a similar shirt. A major difference though is that I am wearing pants and that she is wearing shorts. She also has a large, distinctive tattoo on her thigh. I guess if you are not really paying attention you can get confused…

The woman with the tattoo told me that she had found water at the picnic area. That was surprising because the last water report I downloaded indicated that the water to the area was turned off. She said that the spigot across the parking lot from the bathrooms was flowing, but that the sink in the bathroom was not working even though the toilet both had water and flushed fine.

I was excited for the status report and that she made the effort to come over and tell me about it. I'm not sure which I was more excited about, the unexpected water source or the unexpected bathroom facility. Who am I kidding? It was definitely the bathroom.

I made use of both and continued on my way with my feet feeling much better from the rest. I'm 99% sure that the pains in my feet are just from them adjusting to their new life, but I was still going to take the zero day, since I had the luxury to do so. It goes along with my overall goal of easing my body into this mess. You get so caught up in “doing miles” and making it to destinations, that it is hard to hold back.

After the picnic tables the path skirted the edge of the pine forest. I was passed here by a man on horseback. This area must be a popular horse riding spot since I had already been passed by two nice ladies on horseback in the first pine forest section. I stepped off the trail and the man slowed down the horse as they approached saying the horse was afraid of my backpack and the color blue. However,  when the horse reached me it ended up being pretty friendly, turning it head to me for some petting. This was the second horse I got to pet today.
Overlooking Mt. Laguna's pine forests

After the pine forest, I entered into a burn area that was exposed and windy. It lead to a vista where I could see the desert floor of Anza Borrego, some sections still tinted yellow with wildflowers.  While I was here I was passed by a thru-hiker carrying (and playing) a ukulele. I had seen him earlier when I was in the pine forest.  I was also passed by the woman with the tattoo again. I'm starting to see the same people over and over again as we play leapfrog, but I haven't been social enough to ask their names yet. On the flip side, they haven't asked my name either.  I guess we are all going to slowly ease into the social nature of thru-hiking.
The windy burn area.


What lies ahead the next couple days.  It looks pretty, but I bet it is hot.

Eventually I arrived at my goal spot for the day. I picked the Penny Pines trailhead because it was a couple miles north of Mt. Laguna and next to a paved road. To my surprise, there was a nice pull out area/parking lot with small wall to lean against while I waited for my ride. I originally imagined that I would be sitting in the grass on the side of the road, but this was much better. The only problem was that my ride didn't think he would be able to get there until 8:30 pm. The 8:30 turned into 9:30.

After the sun went down I put on my hat, my merino baselayers, and my puffy jacket to wait while the temperature dropped. Eventually, I pulled out my sleeping bag to use as a down blanket. I truly looked homeless. All I needed to do was get out my Jetboil cup and ask for change. Despite looking ridiculous, I was pretty comfortable temperature-wise. I read on my phone for a couple hours until my ride showed up and shuttled me home for a shower, a stocked refrigerator, and a comfortable bed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)