Trail Day 9: Tule Spring (mile 137.0) to tentsite (mile 154.5)

17.5 PCT miles, plus 0.25 miles from spring


Today I was able to get up really early and pack up my tent by first light. I wanted to get a jump on the day because I struggled so much yesterday. I think the heat may have been a big factor as well so the plan was to hike as much as I could while it was still cool out, then take lots of breaks if needed. I also wanted to get to the Paradise Valley Cafe as early as I could to get food. The problem with this was that it was 15 miles away.


One of the benefits to getting up as early as I did was that I got to see the sunrise. It was spectacular,  but a different kind of spectacular than last time.  There were low lying clouds in the valley in front of me, so when the sun rose, it became a golden clash between sun and clouds. Add the wildflowers along the trail and it was pretty amazing.

This is real life.
Wildflowers and the sunrise.

More wildflowers and the sunrise.

I rollercoastered my way through the extensive foothills for a long time. Most of it was the same, repetitive scenery, even though that scenery had wildflowers. Am I getting used to the wildflowers already? That shouldn’t happen!


Eventually I hit an unexpected water cache, #unexpectedwatercache. It even had a nice sign welcoming the PCT class of 2017. Too bad I overfilled my water supply at the spring. I could have carried less weight with me.

#unexpectedwatercache

Several miles after that I hit another water cache.  This one I would actually call an eccentric water cache, #eccentricwatercache. It was put together by a literature lover and had life size cutouts of Whitman and Thoreau, a mini library of books and poems, and a registry where you could write about how a book has influenced you. I am not necessarily a literature person, but I totally respect this trail angel’s passion. I also respect the picnic tables he/she put out for us to rest at.

Walden Library





After taking a break at Walden Library, I started heading to the next place everyone was talking about, Paradise Valley Cafe. It was still about 8 miles away, and they were not easy miles. They did some “rollercoastering,” but also went down and back up two canyons. The sun had also heated everything up so that the heat was radiating off the trail again.

Mt. San Jacinto. Getting closer.

This gorgeous lizard was nice enough to pose for me.

Down and then back up again.

Well, I guess I have to walk through more wildflowers...

By the time I made it to the junction of the PCT and highway 74, my feet hurt really bad. It was still a 1 mile road walk to get to the cafe and I didn't want to do anymore walking. I sat down in the shade for a while and thought about trying to hitch a ride there. There was a card on the trail sign with a number saying to call if you needed a ride.


After resting a minute or two I got back up to look at the card again.  That is when I saw another hiker coming down the trail. It was Ken, a man I have been leapfrogging with the past couple days. After talking it over with him we decided to just walk the extra mile. It honestly wasn't too bad. A mile seems much shorter when it is flat and straight.


When I got to the cafe I recognized hikers I had been seeing the past few days. Mikka (the woman with the blue shirt and thigh tattoo) was there with her new hiking partner Alexia. When I put my pack down on the porch I spotted Alex. His brother Felix was with him. I almost didn't recognize them at first because they were so sunburned.  I'm glad they found each other, and it sounded like Alex was only waiting at the bridge for a few hours.


I saw two young women (Casey and Isabelle) who I had been flip flopping with on the trail today, and Ken and I went to join them since they had just placed their order. I ended up getting a gigantic cheeseburger with french fries and a Ballast Point Pineapple Sculpin IPA. I was so excited about the food that I didn't take any pictures of the cafe, the meal, or my dining companions.


With my belly (too) full, I headed back to the trail. When I got to the trailhead a car stopped in the middle of the road and asked in excitement if I was hiking the PCT. I said I was and answered some quick questions before being wished good luck and being told to be safe.


I continued on the trail and started gaining elevation again. Soon I started seeing pine trees. Then the landscape became dominated with huge boulders and pine trees. There is a detour coming up because of forest fire damage that requires quite a bit of road walking so a lot of people were getting rides from the cafe to the town of Idyllwild to bypass the detour. Those people don't know what they are missing. The scenery in this section is gorgeous and a welcome change from the low shrubs we have been walking through.

Back in the pine trees again.

I climbed up in elevation for about two more miles after crossing the road until my legs were telling me they were too swollen from the day’s exertion and my belly was telling me it wanted to digest that cheeseburger in peace. I found a wonderful camping spot among some boulders that acted as a wind block. I also got a chance to relax and watch a nice sunset.

Good night from mile 154.5.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)