Trail Day 86: Tentsite (mile 1299.9) to tentsite near logging road (mile 1327.4)

27.5 PCT miles

I started my morning just before sunrise because I wanted to put good miles in and get as close to Lassen National Park as I could.

I hiked a couple miles to a piped spring to fill up on water. At the trail junction, I was amused to find a sign that pointed to the spring on one side,  and Canada on the other, like the border was close. I’m only about half way there.

Trail sign.
Cold Springs.

Most of the rest of the morning involved walking through shaded, wooded areas. Eventually, I came across a dirt road and parking area that had some nice views of the surrounding forest.

Forest for days.


I decided to take a break here. When I was finished and packing up my stuff, I met a couple who had driven up in their car. They asked if I was hiking the trail. I told them about my thu-hiking adventure and the man couldn't seem to wrap his head around it. He had a lot of questions for me.


This way to Canada.


When I started hiking again, I started gaining in elevation,  walking through interesting volcanic rock formations. Then I started losing elevation again and came down to a spring.

The spring was off trail and down a hill, but it was the last water source for 12 miles, so I had to go down. I loaded up on water and started my big,  long, uphill climb for the day.


Last water for 12 miles.


The climb was exhausting and took a long time. After I passed  Butt Mountain,  no doubt named by 6th graders,  I started heading downhill again to my relief.


Scene from the trail. 
Butt Mountain.


About 2 miles downhill from Butt Mountain I hit the halfway marker.  The trail is constantly changing, so it may not be exactly half way, but it is close enough.


Halfway.


I ended my day at a logging road. I'm not sure if it was an official campsite because it was on logging land, but it had the remnants of a fire circle.  Usually, if you are on private property, you can stay within 200 ft of the trail, so hopefully it was OK to camp here. Besides, I will be out very early in the morning anyway. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)