Trail Day 101: Tentsite (mile 1682.0) to Grouse Gap Shelter (mile 1705.7)

23.7 PCT miles

I had a choice today. I could get up very early, really push the miles and get into Ashland late tonight, or I could do a mild day and get into Ashland by late morning/midday tomorrow. I ended up choosing the later. I had a lot of internet research to do about navigating the upcoming forest fires and do not think that if I got in tonight that I would be able to get back on trail tomorrow. So, basically,  I would have been both stressing my body out and spending more money.

Because I chose to do a mild day, I was able to get up when it had started to get light out. I was excited for the day since I would be hitting both the California/Oregon border and the 1,700 mile mark.

Fire influenced sunrise.


The trail alternated between pine forest and grassy areas that had the very last remnants of wildflower. It was really smoky though and it was hard to get a view of the surrounding mountains.

Morning light on the trail.


I walked past a stream and a meadow and headed for the border. All of a sudden, I saw a dark shape looming before me in the shadows. I thought I had walked right into a bear, but it was actually a cow. I looked around and saw more cows, some lounging right on the trail.

Passing a meadow.
Seriously? You are right on the trail.
More cows. 
Again? Mooove.


I have found that when passing cows, no matter how slowly I pass them, if I do it in silence they freak out. So, I have started talking to the cows as I pass them. They are still a little scared but react by staring at me instead of jumping. I'm glad no one is around when I do it, it is weird.

After that, I finally hit the state line. I hugged the tree that marked the border and signed the trail register. It looks like very few people had come through here since the fire closure near Seiad Valley went into effect. There was only one person who signed the log yesterday and I was the first one to sign it today, although I know Milkshake and her crew were just behind me.

Not a very welcoming welcome sign.
State line tree. 
I am very happy to see this tree.


There was a long, uphill climb after the excitement of entering Oregon, mostly through forest area. The surrounding area was incredibly smoky. I knew the fires were far away, but it was hard to tell from the smoke.

Oregon forest.
View from the trail.


Later in the day I passed the 1,700 mile mark. I took a picture with the sticks that spelled it out and started up another annoying uphill climb. I checked my app to see how far it was to the campsite I had originally intended to go to today. It was further than I thought. It would be a 28 mile day if I went all the way there.

1,700 miles.


I decided to walk to Grouse Gap,  which had a shelter just off trail with a picnic table and a pit toilet.

About a mile out, I hit some trail magic. It was a couple coolers filled with sodas. There were chairs there too,  but the light was fading,  so I grabbed a coke to drink as I walked.

Trail magic.

Inside. 


I finally made it to the shelter and made dinner on the picnic table. I decided to try “cowboy camping,” which is sleeping without a tent (just the sleeping pad and bag). I figure that near the active fire areas I should try sleeping like that in case I was evacuated during the night. This had happened to a PCT hiker when the fire around Crater Lake had started, and he had to leave his tent behind.

Grouse Gap Shelter. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)