Trail Day 91: Tentsite (mile 1418.8) to tentsite (mile 1448.8)

30.0 PCT miles

Considering how hot it was yesterday, and the fact that I would start my day with several miles of uphill climb, I decided to get up a couple hours before sunrise to gain elevation before the heat hit again.

While it was still dark out, I was listening to my audio books to entertain myself. Soon after it became light out, I heard something that sounded like a scream. I turned my audio book off and tried to figure out where it was coming from. It was definitely an animal scream, but I couldn't figure out where it was coming from.

Eventually,  I heard the scream directly to my right. I looked over and saw a fox sitting on a rock. It was screaming directly at me. I took a picture of its adorable ferocity and continued down the trail as to not bother it anymore. The screaming stopped after that.

Good morning to you too, Mr. Fox. 


By the time the sun was up, I was high enough in elevation that the trees were taller and thicker. There was also more green vegetation lining the ground, but I could still tell it would be hot today.  

Morning on the trail.
Green.


Occasionally I got a nice view of the surrounding area, but unfortunately it was ruined by smoke. There are current forest fires in both Northern California and Oregon, so I may not have nice views on the trail for a while.

I stopped for lunch at a spring,  and set up my sleeping pad in the shade. Soon the sun moved and the shade disappeared. My lunch spot became hot, as did the trail the rest of the day.

This trail sign has seen better days. 


The trail moved from exposed section to semi-shaded section fairly rapidly and there didn't seem to be much relief from the heat.  It wasn't as bad as yesterday, but, with the early start I had today,  it was making me sleepy.

View from the trail.


I ended up taking an extra break in the afternoon, laying down and closing my eyes for a while. I also ate some sugar and caffeine. This break helped out a lot and the rest of the day became much more pleasant.

Smokey layers in the afternoon.


I filled up with water at a spring and headed for a tentsite next to a dirt road. On my way to the spring I saw something that gave me pause. I had been following footprints of a fellow hiker named Papa Bear, who was just a little ahead of me all day.  However,  I saw another set of footprints.  They were from an actual bear and looked fresher than Papa Bear's prints. I proceeded with caustion until I saw the prints had left the trail. 


Bear prints.


The campsite where I ended the day was exactly 30 miles from where I had camped the night before.  I was excited to have finally done a 30 mile day, but also very tired.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)