Trail Day 118: Snoqualmie Pass (mile 2390.6) via Packwood to Ridge Lake (mile 2397.8)

7.2 PCT miles

Despite being told how cold it would be at night, it wasn't as cold at Momma G’s as it had been the previous nights of camping. My gear has been pretty good at keeping me warm too, so when I woke up I was nice and snug.

I packed up my bag and headed inside where we were made breakfast. Lynn then took a set of hikers to White Pass. There was another set that Momma G was going to shuttle into town while I,  and a couple other hikers, were going to be shuttled to Snoqualmie Pass.

We waited for the trail angel, Scott, who would drive us to Snoqualmie and then all went our separate ways. I had to temporarily say goodbye to Zorro and Little Engine, who were headed into town for a zero day.

I had two other hikers I hadn't met before, Lego and Slim Shady, join me for my shuttle. It ended up being a 2-3 hour drive due to the closures and construction that was going on. I swapped stories with the other hikers during the drive.

We were dropped off at the Summit Inn where Slim Shady and I had our packages sent. We had heard that they didn't like hikers there and that a couple people had been yelled at. The lady who got my package was nice enough, but I got out of there quickly after I had retrieved my package.

The Summit Inn at Snoqualmie Pass. 


We walked around to where the public restrooms were and then, since I couldn't find any appropriate benches to unload and repack my box, I sat down by in the shade next to Lee's Summit Grocery where I was joined by the others.

As I was unpacking, another hiker who Slim Shady  recognized came out to tell us that there were tables and outlets inside. We took our stuff in, snacked, and repacked. When I was done, I said goodbye to the guys and headed for the trail. It was already later in the afternoon than I would have liked.

While being shuttled around the fire closure, I skipped mile 2,300. RIP Mile 2,300.


I walked the road to the trail and started up. I had something like a 2,500 ft climb to do. It was shaded, but sunny, and the temperature was cool, but not too cold. I had to tell myself to thoroughly enjoy the day. There is a storm coming through bringing cold rain. Originally it was supposed to start tomorrow, but it has shifted to the day after that.

Rejoing the PCT. 
The PCT in this section is the edge of the Jolly Mountain Fire closure. 


As I climbed up the trail, the trail started to become more exposed and traverse the mountain slope. I got great views down to the road and of the surrounding mountains. I also started to see pykas. I thought I would only see those guys in the high Sierra.

The PCT. 
View from the trail. 
Another view from the trail. 
Pyka!
Looking back down at the road.


I walked until I hit a couple of small lakes. There were already a couple people set up. I walked around them and backtracked a little until I found a spot I liked. I wanted to go a little further today but I wasn't feeling up to hiking in the dark.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)