Trail Day 114: Forest Road 8851 via the East Crater Fire detour (mile 2216.0) to Trout Lake Creek (mile 2221.3)

5.3 PCT miles, plus about 17 miles detour and 4 miles side trip.

I had a moment of panic last night when a car had come barreling down the forest riad, waking me up. In my grogginess I thought I was still camped at Trout Creek where I had been really close to the road. Eventually, I remembered that I was at a different roadside tentsite, one that was tucked back into the vegetation.

It was also cold last night for the first time in a long time. It wasn't as cold as it had been in the Sierra, but it made it difficult to get up in the morning. I could actually see my breath as I was breaking down my tent.

I headed down Forest Road 60 for a couple of miles until I came to a creek where I stopped for breakfast. I had to resist eating my whole food bag. I was a little light on food and it had to last me at least 4 more days. Luckily, I discovered that I was sitting next to a huckleberry bush and was able to add that to my breakfast.

Breakfast.
Walking the road.
I kept passing these all day as the detour was the edge of the fire closure.


The rest of the walk down Forest Road 60 was incredibly boring. When I finally got to the intersection with the next road on the detour, Forest Road 24, I was already pretty much over road walking. Two miles down Forest Road 24 (in the wrong direction) was an ice cave that I wanted to check out. It meant a 4 mile detour from the detour, so I hoped it was worth the effort.

The cave area had picnic tables, info signs, and it even had a privy. At the entrance there was a warning about bringing proper gear into the cave including a light, warm clothes, proper footwear, and a hard hat. I soon found out why the hard hat was needed.

Cave map.
Cave entrance. 


The stair leading into the cave was the only thing visitor friendly about it. The rest had been left untouched. That meant to get anywhere you had to scramble across large rocks. Most were slick with melting/refreezing ice. The floor of the cave was also icy. I figured there was a really good chance that I could slip and fall. I made it to the first set of ice formations, but didn't want to spend the time or risk to see the best ones in the back.

Ice formations. 
Cave exit.


I was glad I made the side trip though, as it was something different and it was a nice diversion from the monotony if the road walk. Outside the cave I set up pine cones to mark passing mile 2,200, which I would have done by now if I had been able to walk the trail itself.

Improvising the 2,200 mile marker.


I then headed back on Forest Road 24 and, when I got to the junction of Road 60, turned right to continue following the detour. By this time the sun was high in the sky and the shade was sparce. On my detour directions, the next road (Forest Road 8831) had several water sources, so I was aiming to get to that junction for lunch. I ended up being too hot, tired, and hungry to make it there.

More road walking.
Snake sighting.


I found the flattest, most shaded spot that I could in the forest just off the road to set up for lunch. I cooked my lunch and then laid down for a little bit. At least it was only supposed to be for a little bit. In truth I fell fast asleep. I only woke up when a car rumbled by.

I don't know how long I slept,  but it was too long. Now I was worried about finishing my detour and setting up camp on the PCT before dark. I was kind of angry with myself for sleeping that long, but the rest and food did wonders for my energy level.

I finally reached the junction with 8831, grabbing water from a pretty stream along the way. Soon enough, the road walk got monotonous again. A couple cars had rumbled by and soon I was comparing this walk to my road walk from Etna to Seiad Valley.  I remembered how in NorCal I had to fight off people offering me rides. Just as I thought that maybe the people down there were just friendlier, two guys pulled over asking me if I wanted a ride for a little ways.

They were headed to the next road on my detour (Forest Road 88), but headed right where I needed to turn left. I took the ride since it would save me about 2 miles of road walking. The driver was telling me about how he has met wonderful people who pass through hiking the PCT and how his wife has a “good sense” for who those wonderful people are, and they sometimes host hikers at their house for the night.

I was dropped off at 88, walking a couple miles to Big Tire Junction, where I would connect to my final road, Forest Road 8851. I had to laugh when I got there. Big Tire Junction was a Y-shaped junction of forest roads. Right in the middle was a huge truck tire.

Almost there.
This is Big Tire Junction. LOL.


I checked my detour directions thinking that I had 5-6 more miles to go, but found out that I only had 3 more. As a bonus, I had another car pick me up 0.5 mile down Forest Road 8851 and take me to the PCT crossing.

I couldn't believe it. I was actually on the trail with a couple hours of daylight to spare. I was really happy too. Not only was the trail more scenic than the road walk, but it was easier on my feet too.

Back on the trail!


I was able to hike several more miles down the trail than I thought I would today and camped near Trout Lake Creek. There were two other thru-hikers also set up there named Zorro and Little Engine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)