Trail Day 21: Seasonal Stream (mile 334.5) to Road to McDonald's (mile 341.9)

7.4 PCT miles

It was a nero (near zero) day today.  I had less than 10 miles to go to get to I-15 where I would be taken off trail for some rest days.  With how ridiculously hot it has been the past few days, I was excited to spend some time in the cold backyard pool.  Since it was a work day, I needed to punch out those miles really early in the morning so my Trail Angel could pick me up before work.

I started hiking at 4:45 am.  It wasn't too bad, since I didn't have to walk in the dark for very long.  As visible light started to appear, I passed one of the tentsites listed in the Guthook app.  Either it was unoccupied last night or whoever stayed there got up just as early as I did.  I was happy with the patch of sand I found last night for my tent.  I would have gotten to this spot last night with almost no visible light remaining to set up camp and make dinner.

I walked in low light through what looked like would have been a beautiful valley if I could have seen it.  After that I started walking up and down the mountains again.  This trail is never simple.  Even if you are heading down in elevation to your destination, the trail takes you on a grand tour of all the little mountain crests in between.  You end up going up, just to go back down.

Early morning sunrise.

I was happy to do this section in the early morning.  It consisted of rocks, some shrubs, and a lot of dried grasses.  The heat would be unforgiving later in the day.  I was already sweating during the uphill sections and it was only 6:30 am.

I went under powerlines (like directly under), then up and down, up and down, looking at views of Mt. Baldy the entire time.  Eventually, I got views down into the I-15 corridor and the famous McDonald's way at the bottom.  I still had several miles to go to reach it.

Ever walked directly under a power line tower?

Mt. Baldy and I-15.

I-15 corridor in the morning light.

The trail dropped down steeply and I hot a couple of seasonal stream crossings.  As I approached I-15, I followed a beautiful stream bed.  You have no idea that this exists when you are on the interstate, but it is right next to it.  I could hear the cars (and eventually see them) as I was walking it.

Come on, PCT. While did I walk all those mile uphill if you were just going to do this?
This exists right next to I-15.

My Trail Angel had gotten there a couple minutes early and I met him on the trail itself and headed towards the car.  I had to laugh as I got near the frontage road.  There was an official PCT sign pointing to McDonald's in one direction, and Guffy Campground in the other direction.

The PCT understands hiker hunger.


This McDonald's is a point of interest on the trail, even if people don't like McDonald's.  The amount of food hungry hiker-trash order here is legendary.  Several people I ran into yesterday were planning their mileage in order to make it there by lunchtime. Wanting to participate in PCT tradition, my Trail Angel and I headed there for breakfast.
The famous I-15 McDonald's

As I approached the building, there was a hand written sign. It was closed due to a power outage.  I felt the collective cry of every PCT hiker who had planned their day around filling up on calories there.  I would be fine. I had plenty of food options.  They didn't.  It looked like the power outage effected every building in Cajon Junction except one.  It was a gas station/Subway.  If they wanted to do a road walk, they could get Subway, but it wouldn't be the same.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

My Trail Angel started driving me back and I was looking forward to a shower and a nap.  Unfortunately, the "low pressure" warning came on for one of the tires. He pulled over at a gas station and soon the tire was completely flat.  It would be a while before I showered.  We had to wait an hour for a tow truck, then another two hours at the dealer to replace the tires.  I tried to keep as much distance between myself and everyone else in civilization.  I had 5 days of warm weather hiker stink on me as well as a fine layer of dirt.

Eventually I was taken home where I spent the rest of the day alternating between shower/bath, nap, and food.

Comments

  1. I had no idea that McDonalds is near the PCT! I pass it every time I go to my grandma's house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying to look for where the PCT came down every time I went through there. It turns out it comes down way before the freeway and follows a stream.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)