Trail Day 59: Nero at Vermillion Valley Resort

5.3 miles side trail

Today we were headed to Vermillion Valley Resort  (VVR), a resupply point off trail. We had hiked part of the trail yesterday, and needed to do about 5 more miles to reach our destination.

I skipped out on the fish party last night, so I wasn't sure what the plan was for the morning. I set my alarm for the normal wake up time (5 am) and waited for people to stir.

Sage was the first person I saw pack up his tent. I went to inquire what the plan was and he basically said there wasn't a plan, just to get to VVR.

I packed up my gear,  spoke briefly with Phoenix and Songbeard, then headed down the trail. The trail wound around the lake, but had a lot more uphill and downhill than I expected, making it seem longer than it really was.

Lake Edison from the side trail. 
 
Another view of Lake Edison.

VVR itself is more like a collection of rustic cabins than a resort. However, it is really hiker friendy. There is a sign out front telling hikers to “please loiter.”

Welcome to VVR.
VVR. 


The first thing I did when I got there is shop for lunches and dinners for the next few days. At the register, they open a tab that you close before you leave. They also give hikers a free beer upon arrival.

The beer started flowing early among the hikers. Soon after the beers had been cracked, the kitchen opened for lunch. A couple of us who had been on the trail for a while, and who had not eaten breakfast that day, ran in right away. I was able to order a fat cheeseburger.

After lunch I sat around the picnic tables with fellow hikers chatting over beers. Eventually,  I put my swimsuit on and headed down to Lake Edison.

Lake Edison from VVR.


A couple of hikers from my group were already down there and had already swam. I braced myself for very cold water, but it wasn't too bad. When I dove down it was really cold, but the surface had bern heated up enough to be pleasant.

Lake Edison ferry.


After drying off on the beach, I headed back to the restaurant, where I had BBQ chicken. I then set up my tent, closed my tab, and went to bed. Overall, it was a pretty relaxing day.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FT2018 Day 44: Campsite near the Aucilla River (mile 734.2) to Ring Dike Campsite (mile 760.8)

AZT 2019 Day 44: Campsite near Umbrella Tank (mile 768.4) to Utah-Arizona border (mile 788.7)

FT2018 Day 40: Holton Creek River Camp (mile 652.0) to Black Tract Campsite (mile 674.4)